Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default The Deer have Devoured my Roses

Now What? Do I go ahead and trim them up, removing the ends they ate
off? Do I cut them back to other eyes on the canes? Do I leave them
alone and see what the plants actually do?
They are all Hyrbrid Teas, I have maintained my spray and fertilizing
schedule.
Needless to say I am sick about this. I have had no roses at all this
summer. I have tried all the deer repelant ideas I have been able to
get my hands on.
Any and all ideas, information and experiences appreciated. Thanks in
advance.
Mary Jo
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I'd trim them back, to the first outside bud union eye if possible. The
chewed ends are a open door for infection. I bet you'll still have some
blooming this year. Most of my roses die to the ground over the winter, and
their already at predicted height.

Keeping deer away is a real challenge. My brother has deer fence all round
his beds, which seem pretty extreme, but it is quit effective. I have 5
very big dogs,(also a bit extreme, what?) who, between their size and
protein rich urine, keep the deer at bay. (I've been know to contribute a
bit myself the day after a big steak dinner) The by-produces of protein
metabolism give the urine a sent the says "carnivore" to the deer. No good
if you're a vegetarian, wrong smell.

I've seen motion detector activated sprinkling systems that are suppose to
work pretty well, although I wonder if the deer would get use to getting
sprayed after a while. I can assure you, they never get used to my dogs!

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Jul 10, 4:49 pm, "Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

That kind of trim is what I was thinking however I did not think of
infection. I have tried urine and as far as motion detector lights,
they can now see what they are eating. Have not tried the sprinkler
method yet.

Thanks
Mary Jo