Old 19-07-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default How Hardy Are David Austin Roses?

I keep seeing in catalogues reassurances that David Austin roses are
tough plants and don't require pampering.

But I remain sceptical about how successful a plant bred in England
can be in, oh just for example, a city built on the edge of the
prairie in the U.S. midwest, where hot and dry days are common.

I live in Chicago. Yes, I know how to use a sprinkler, but
that's not the same as living in England's green and pleasant land.

Does anyone have any experience with these plants in these conditions?

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.
Old 19-07-2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I have several Dave Austin's, and although they are very nice, I would not
call them care free. They require winter protection in my zone, and they
tend to develop black spot. (I spray every 7 to 14 days) As far as watering,
I would say they are need no more or less than your typical hybrid.

One other thing, you need to be careful not to feed Austin roses too high a
nitrogen fertilizer. The bloom stems tend to be very flexible, resulting in
bloom droop, so I try to give them a bit more phosphorous and potassium and
a little less nitrogen, to promote sturdier canes and stems.

Saying all that, I love the Austin bloom form, and they are strong-scented.
I'm glad to have them, and you would be too, as long as you don't mind
fussing a little.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 19-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

In article ,
Jeffrey L. Kline wrote:
I have several Dave Austin's, and although they are very nice, I would not
call them care free. They require winter protection in my zone, and they
tend to develop black spot. (I spray every 7 to 14 days) As far as watering,
I would say they are need no more or less than your typical hybrid.

I am, in theory, zone 5 also, so the protection part is good to know.

What concerns me more is the black spot - I currently don't spray (it
helps that my two roses are both Griffith Buck roses) and it would have
to be a very impressive rose to get me to start. Of course the David
Austin roses *are* very impressive, so there I am leaning towards a
"buy" decision.

Hmm.

Old 20-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Gamble View Post

Have you looked at their website? There is discussion on that about which roses will do in which zones: http://www.davidaustinroses.com/amer...sp?PageId=2063
Old 20-07-2008, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Our Chamblee's Rose Nursery www.chambleeroses.com

Lists David Austin(R) English Roses in zones typically 4-9 some 5-10
and some 4-11

The map they use is the USDA Plant Hardiness zone map - puts
the windy city in zone 5.

So most can handle it there to up to central Wi Westward.

You having -20 to -10 degrees F as a minimum range for zone 5.

I suspect they have rose information on their site and the roses we
picked up from them are wonderful. We are in zone 8.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

David Austin Roses Dexter169 Roses 1 22-10-2011 01:55 PM
David Austin Roses Sale Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 09-01-2009 11:48 PM
David Austin Roses Competition - gardenandgreen.co.uk [email protected] United Kingdom 1 05-12-2007 06:48 PM
David Austin Roses Competition - gardenandgreen.co.uk [email protected] Gardening 0 05-12-2007 03:51 PM
David Austin Roses Lavinia Zammit Roses 7 18-12-2005 04:54 AM