Old 25-07-2008, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Deer and Roses

I am now having problems wit deer after 35 years of growing roses. Some
said to try urine. Has anyone had success with urine, how is it applied
and how often?
Thanks,
Andrew

Enjoy the Summer!

Old 26-07-2008, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Check the local plant supplier - they might have some Zoo brand that is
known to deter Deer. Our friend in the mountains got some - said to be
Tiger - and it worked for her.

It might be a chemical mix and marketed that way.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 02-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H. Eastburn View Post

Mr. Andy wrote:
I am now having problems wit deer after 35 years of growing roses. Some
said to try urine. Has anyone had success with urine, how is it applied
and how often?
Thanks,
Andrew

Enjoy the Summer!

Elizabeth J CA USA
Regarding Mr Andy's problem with deer and rabbits ...there is a product here in the USA called "LIQUID FENCE" that has helped me. It is made with egg, garlic and two other chemicals that are not dangerous to plants, animals, or people. It smells so bad at first but after it dries no one seems to smell it but the deer and rabbits. At one time I had a herd of seventeen graze their way through my arceage now maybe one or two stray through but don't stop. You have to respray should rain or water waste it off. It can be sprayed directly on the plants and around patios.
Old 18-08-2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

You can also put ground pepper red and black - anything that might be
old on the shelf to get rid of - chili ... grind up and make a spray.
Hot oil sits on the leaves - they will learn a quick lesson.

You can try cinnamon oil at the pharmacy and add that to the mix for
a lasting.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

On 2008-07-26, Scott Sexton wrote:
In article , says...

snip

Mr. Andy wrote:
I am now having problems wit deer after 35 years of growing roses. Some
said to try urine. Has anyone had success with urine, how is it applied
and how often?
Thanks,
Andrew

Enjoy the Summer!

I've heard good reports of people using predator urine. Do a google for
"animal urine" and many choices will be presented for you.

Sexton

Phone your nearest zoo and ask them? The Toronto Zoo produces 'Zoo Poo'
and I'm sure that other zoos have a similar product.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I too have had big troubles this year, whereas in prior years I had no
issue. The *******s manage to attack my rose shrubs right when the
buds are ready to blossom. I have tried using Liquid Fence (http://
www.liquidfence.com/) and have had success, but it is pricey, so I
never bought the bulk size necessary to do a full on spray with a
garden hose, just the hand held dispenser. Next year I will invest in
the larger package size and spray it every 2 - 3 weeks to keep the
damn deer away.

Be forewarned - it stinks really really bad, and if you get it on your
skin, you will smell wild animal pee for at least week. So when
buying this product, make sure you use some rubber gloves, and be sure
not to spray it the weekend of a BBQ, because everyone will throw up
at the smell - and not your cooking.

Any other suggestions from the group?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I haven't yet had trouble from roses, just rabbits, and they're not as
devastating as deer would be. I found this article at the American
Rose Society website:

http://www.ars.org/About_Roses/pests_deer.html

Maybe that will help with some ideas.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

The Deer have Devoured my Roses [email protected] Roses 4 10-07-2008 11:41 PM
Deer Resistant Roses Al Roses 13 15-07-2004 05:02 AM
Help! The deer ate my homework...errr...roses elfa Roses 9 22-07-2003 07:42 PM
Help- deer and hostas Mpb58 Gardening 12 14-07-2003 03:32 PM
Roses and Apples was Blackspot on roses near tree Radika Kesavan Roses 2 04-06-2003 06:56 AM