Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Is this normal?

I've seen my climbing roses getting yellow canes on them...one or
two....is this normal for this time of year? I'm pretty new to growing
them....it's been dry but I have been watering them once a week.....I'm
in zone 5b....any thoughts?...or am I just getting panicky.....; )
Old 03-09-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message ...
I've seen my climbing roses getting yellow canes on them...one or
two....is this normal for this time of year? I'm pretty new to
growing them....it's been dry but I have been watering them once a
week.....I'm in zone 5b....any thoughts?...or am I just getting
panicky.....; )

I'm not sure what you mean by yellow canes. Yellow leaves, sure, but
usually canes go from green to brown to gray over time (and even that
varies by rose type - some rose canes start out as red).

Maybe if you mention the type of climbing roses you have, how long
they've been planted, the type of soil, other cultural conditions,
feeding schedule, we might be able to figure something out.

The only thing that springs to mind is too much water but since you
say it's been dry where you are, and you're only watering once per
week, that shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of feeding, climbers are supposed to be heavy feeders
(although mine seem to do ok on my less than perfect feeding
schedule). What's your feeding schedule?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message ...
I've seen my climbing roses getting yellow canes on them...one or
two....is this normal for this time of year? I'm pretty new to
growing them....it's been dry but I have been watering them once a
week.....I'm in zone 5b....any thoughts?...or am I just getting
panicky.....; )

I'm not sure what you mean by yellow canes. Yellow leaves, sure, but
usually canes go from green to brown to gray over time (and even that
varies by rose type - some rose canes start out as red).

Yep....I was away for 4 days and came back and the whole 2 canes, leaves
and all...yellow....

Maybe if you mention the type of climbing roses you have, how long
they've been planted, the type of soil, other cultural conditions,
feeding schedule, we might be able to figure something out.

Not sure what type of climber it is...not a rambler for sure...it
flowered once in June..pretty pink flowers, light scent, double petals
in clusters....its planted in clay soil I amended with aged manure and
potting soil.....I planted it in '07 spring.....Ive fed it at the end of
May, June, then mid- August....its in full sun....seems to like it....

The only thing that springs to mind is too much water but since you
say it's been dry where you are, and you're only watering once per
week, that shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of feeding, climbers are supposed to be heavy feeders
(although mine seem to do ok on my less than perfect feeding
schedule). What's your feeding schedule?

I also have a rambler in back and that one is huge as can be....soil is
the same without any issues at all....Just seems strange.....
here's a pic of climber and cane

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27757797@N02/

Old 03-09-2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gee, from your pictures the plants look quite healthy. My mini climbers
sometimes develop yellow, spindly canes, which I attribute to too little sun
and too much water. The leaves look healthy, so it isn't likely a iron
issue. Could the canes have been damaged in anyway?

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Might be lack of iron ? Water leached it out - or limited ?

Might want to get the soil tested.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message ...
Gail Futoran wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Nice photos!

I agree with Martin. Your climber looks a bit leached out. You seem
to have done all that's required so it's hard to judge what's wrong.

However, I'm only seeing one cane in that photo. If the one cane is
only one cane on an otherwise healthy bush, I wouldn't worry about it.
But if there's only one cane to the bush, considering that you planted
this over a year ago, I would expect more growth. Do you water well a
day before feeding? Sometimes if the plant isn't hydrated well before
fertilization, it can damage the plant. Other than that, and a soil
test, I can't think of anything else. Sometimes a rose just isn't
fated to do well.

Gail

Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Chlorosis would seem to be more likely if the whole plant was displaying
symptoms. I didn't see a lot of evidence myself of generalized yellowing on
the plant pictures, and I couldn't tell if there was green veining, which
is often associated with depleted iron.

That being said, I'm unaware of a disadvantage to a modest application of
chelated iron. It would adjust pH, as well as increase the available iron
level.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Old 13-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered User

i'm afraid that it maybe suck,maybe short of water or attacked by some pests
Marriage is a romance like ally mcbeal dvd
in which the hero dies in the first chapter bones dvd never come back!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered User

I'm alone seeing one pikestaff in that photo. If the one pikestaff is only one pikestaff on an contrarily advantageous bush, I wouldn't anguish about it. But if there's alone one pikestaff to the bush, because that you planted this over a year ago, I would apprehend added growth.
Grow tents