Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Mice in my pots!

I was doing a bit of watering today and must have had 4 or 5 mice come out
of holes they had dug in my potted roses! Has anyone else ever had this
happen to them? I wonder if they are eating the roots. The plants seem
fine. We feed the birds nearby so I'm guessing that is their primary source
of food. I'll have to drive them out when I bring the roses in for the
winter. I don't need them in the garage!

It's always something, isn't it!

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone mice, I mean 5.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
I was doing a bit of watering today and must have had 4 or 5 mice
come out of holes they had dug in my potted roses! Has anyone else
ever had this happen to them? I wonder if they are eating the roots.
The plants seem fine. We feed the birds nearby so I'm guessing that
is their primary source of food. I'll have to drive them out when I
bring the roses in for the winter. I don't need them in the garage!

It's always something, isn't it!

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone mice, I mean 5.

We've had a lot more mice (and rabbits) around our area this year,
too. I don't know what's causing it, maybe a normal variation in the
frequency of snakes (primarily rat snakes around here) and predator
birds to mice and rabbits. I was feeding birds and that did attract
the mice. I even found birdseed in our motorhome! And one cotton
rug chewed on the corner. I haven't found any in my potted plants
(roses or other plants) but I don't need to bring them in for what's
called "winter" around here.

I've read mice don't like the smell of peppermint. Maybe just another
one of those useless old wive's tales or maybe one of those based on
actual evidence. I put containers with cotton balls soaked in
peppermint oil around the RV and haven't noticed any more mouse
activity. So maybe it worked. Could try something like that on your
potted roses.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA