GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rosa rugosa edible hips (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/180506-rosa-rugosa-edible-hips.html)

Hcaterpillar 28-12-2008 10:16 PM

Rosa rugosa edible hips

Has anyone tried growing Rosa rugosa for the large edible rosehips?
http://www.edible-plants.com

YMC 06-01-2009 12:29 AM

Rosa rugosa edible hips

"Hcaterpillar" wrote in message

Has anyone tried growing Rosa rugosa for the large edible rosehips?
http://www.edible-plants.com

I grow the Harlequin rose - and it has a profusion of rose hips. I cut them
when they turn red - cut out the seeds - and eat them raw.

Unfortunately, the rose has been infested with thrips - and I've sprayed
Rogor on it. I guess I would have to wait a month or so before I can harvest
the hips.

Hcaterpillar 06-01-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMC (Post 826847)
"Hcaterpillar" wrote in message

Has anyone tried growing Rosa rugosa for the large edible rosehips?
http://www.edible-plants.com

I grow the Harlequin rose - and it has a profusion of rose hips. I cut them
when they turn red - cut out the seeds - and eat them raw.

Unfortunately, the rose has been infested with thrips - and I've sprayed
Rogor on it. I guess I would have to wait a month or so before I can harvest
the hips.

Sounds interesting.. probably does you a lot of good aswell, (high in vitamins and good for the old joints!) I'm looking for more comparisons of different rosehips for a site I've put together. Can you describe the taste, how thick is the skin, is the flesh soft. Do you have the latin name of your rose aswell?
Sorry for the interogation....:)