Old 24-01-2009, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Coffee Grounds

This may be lore or fact , but I have heard that coffee grounds
sprinkled on the soil near the roots enhances plant growth.
Ideas and experience with this topic are appreciated.
Don,.....

Old 25-01-2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Richard has an idea.

Yes I know of a number of instances that coffee helps.

Compost it and it draws earthworms by the handful.
Same with with the plants. It doesn't seem much by volume,
not much to do much, but it draws the earthworm and they deposit
as they consume on their way and stay looking for more coffee.

Along side a mountain cabin coffee was made by the half pound can
at a time. This was a small town hunting and vacation cabin in the
mountains. They dumped the urn out the kitchen window every time and
a number of times a day. And had been using that way for years.
It was a fishing worm hill and the worms extracted when wanted.

I'd put it in small mounds under the ground - not spread it to thin.

Martin

Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered User

Coffee grounds provide plants with many of essential nutrients including magnesium, calcium and nitrogen. Theses nutrients are very beneficial to plants and are often found in fertilizers. The grounds can add a significant amount of acidity to the soil. Blueberries, roses, and gardenias are a few plants known to love acidic soil. Using coffee grounds for other plants may prove to be harmful. Before adding the grounds to any plant research it and learn if acidic soil is preferred.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Keeney View Post
This may be lore or fact , but I have heard that coffee grounds
sprinkled on the soil near the roots enhances plant growth.
Ideas and experience with this topic are appreciated.
Don,.....

I use coffee grounds around my hybrid tea roses, and I also put coffee grounds under my hydrangeas, to make the blooms really bright blue.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Registered User

This was a baby boondocks hunting and vacation berth in the mountains. They dumped the urn out the kitchen window every time and a amount of times a day. And had been application that way for years. It was a fishing ******* acropolis and the worms extracted if wanted.
Grow tents

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 05:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 12:56 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 06:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 05:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 09:15 AM