GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Few Leaves - Plenty of Blooms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/180985-few-leaves-plenty-blooms.html)

YMC 29-01-2009 01:51 AM

Few Leaves - Plenty of Blooms

Hi,

I've got an odd problem with several of my dark red roses - they produce
very
few leaves - but plenty of blooms. Sometimes there are no leaves on the
cane. They are BlackBoy variants - taken by cutting. Not much of a scent.
Not a climber.
Multiple petal diamond shaped rose flowers. Beautiful roses.

What can I do to encourage it to have more leaves?

Could it be due to the fact that they were cuttings which I placed into the
ground after about 1 year in a pot?

Or perhaps its just a case of black spot?

beretta8 29-01-2009 10:16 PM

Few Leaves - Plenty of Blooms

YMC wrote:
Hi,

I've got an odd problem with several of my dark red roses - they produce
very
few leaves - but plenty of blooms. Sometimes there are no leaves on the
cane. They are BlackBoy variants - taken by cutting. Not much of a scent.
Not a climber.
Multiple petal diamond shaped rose flowers. Beautiful roses.

What can I do to encourage it to have more leaves?

Could it be due to the fact that they were cuttings which I placed into the
ground after about 1 year in a pot?

Or perhaps its just a case of black spot?

I believe nitrogen will increase leave production....I'm a newbie but I
was warned that if I wanted more blooms don't over load on nitrogen...