Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Transplanting?

I have a very special (3 ft) rose that needs transplanting this Spring, as
it is now too much in the shade. I don't want to prune it. Should I wait
until the buds start greening on the plant before digging it up, or before?
Then what is the best soil to place in the hole for the transplant - I'm
thinking the usual peat moss and organic matter. Do I then fertilize it
right away or not?. Any other tips? .... Noddy

Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

No, transplant it while it is still asleep, as soon as the ground is
workable. I'd prune it a bit, but that's up to you. Do not put fertilizer
in the hole, maybe just a bit of bone meal. As for soil, it depends on what
you have. If you have good soil, just fill it in. If you have clay, use
some peat, or topsoil. Dig the hole at least 24 inches wide and deep, more
if you can do it. Dig up the plant with a 12 to 18 inch ball and back fill
the hole until the union is at ground level or a 2 to 3 inches below if it
gets cold where you live. Fill in until you are almost level, step the
ground down, and give it a big drink. After the water soaks in, fill in the
rest of the hole. Water every day or so for the first month. Don't
fertilize until after the first bloom.

Good luck

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Thanks for the info. Particularly the bit about planting a bit deeper = that
I will do. I did think I should do it before it woke up, so that I shall do
too. My soil is a bit clayish, but the wild roses thrive in it - I've
always wondered about that. I shall add peatmoss to some good compost. About
the bonemeal, does that encourage voles, etc. or can I just put it in the
very bottom of the hole? I have had trouble before with mice nibbling the
branches, but this year I put mothballs around (which I remove come Spring,
of course), . ... Noddy.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

If you put the bone meal in the bottom of the hole, you shouldn't have any
problems. Clayish soil is good. It holds water better. I only worry about
clay if it's the slab type.

jk