Old 23-02-2003, 12:39 AM
john

Default Roses

Please can you help me I dont seem to get a lot of flowers on my roses
Iget lots of leaves but not many flowers.Do i need to feed them with
anything .

Regards
John.
Old 23-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Scopata Fuori

Please can you help me I dont seem to get a lot of flowers on my roses
Iget lots of leaves but not many flowers.Do i need to feed them with
anything .

Hi John,

It sounds as though they are getting too much nitrogen, and not enough
phosphorous. Some folks would say to cut back on the nitrogen, but in my
experience, if you're getting lots of leaves, that's half the battle right
there. It's obviously healthy. And if it was an actual overdose of nitrogen
it would be damaging the plant, as it will burn in too high concentrations.
Get some low nitrogen fertilizer, with plenty of phosphorous, and I think
you'll see a difference.

I asked this same question, three or four years ago, and I was told that
within two weeks I would have blooms. She was right! I tested my soil not
long after that (also a good idea, but no need to get fancy with it), and
there was a low phosphorous level in that part of the yard. The other areas
I tested were borderline low, so I take that into consideration when
fertilizing.

The product I used, was from Southern States, and was a pure phosphorous
product, with no nitrogen or anything. I mixed a couple spoonfuls into my
sprayer, and applied it liberally under the plant. A week later, I diluted
it further, and sprayed the remainder over the leaves and all, in the
evening, along with a little Funginex (to avoid feeding the fungus and
blackspot).

Phosphorous does not move easily through the soil, and without boring you
with a lengthy description, suffice it to say, you should water it liberally
and it shouldn't be something you'll have to frequently re-apply, unlike
other nutrients.

Another reason you may have no blooms is that an unfriendly insect
infestation is eating them before they can become actual buds, but I think
the trace elements are the issue.

Scopata Fuori

Old 23-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Snooze

"Scopata Fuori" wrote in message

It sounds as though they are getting too much nitrogen, and not enough
phosphorous. Some folks would say to cut back on the nitrogen, but in my
experience, if you're getting lots of leaves, that's half the battle right
there. It's obviously healthy. And if it was an actual overdose of

nitrogen
it would be damaging the plant, as it will burn in too high

concentrations.
Get some low nitrogen fertilizer, with plenty of phosphorous, and I think
you'll see a difference.

snip

Consider using bone meal, which lasts a long time and provides a steady
supply of phosphorous. Unfortunately it's best if you can spread the stuff
in the ground near the roots, rather then sprinkling around the surface. If
you can get rock phosphorous add that too, but it is critical that it be
placed under the surface of the soil.

In a jiffy, you could use Miracle-Gro, make a dilute solution, put it in a
spray bottle and mist the leaves on a sunny morning, and water the plant
with a normal concentration of the stuff. But it's not really a long term
solution.

Good luck
Sameer

Old 23-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Cass

Snooze wrote:

"Scopata Fuori" wrote in message
It sounds as though they are getting too much nitrogen, and not enough
phosphorous.

snip

Consider using bone meal, which lasts a long time and provides a steady
supply of phosphorous. Unfortunately it's best if you can spread the stuff
in the ground near the roots, rather then sprinkling around the surface. If
you can get rock phosphorous add that too, but it is critical that it be
placed under the surface of the soil.

Another factor is sunlight. Lots. As many hours in a day as you have in
your climate. Since you're in the UK, your roses would be perfectly
happy with all day sun.

John, another thing I've noticed in UK gardens is such tidiness that
the soil is not mulched with organic matter. We slobs keep our soils
covered with 4 to 6 inches of ground bark, cocoa hulls, pine needles
or other organic mulch. Soil organisms provide a lot of free labor in
the garden if you provide them with an environment they like: lots of
decaying stuff right on the surface. It doesn't need to be dug in: the
organisms work in the top 6 inches of soil.

I suppose that's enough to keep you busy in the garden for a few months.

--
-=-
Cass
Old 22-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Not move easily through the soil phosphorus and no tedious your description, I just want to say, you should water loose, it should not be that you have to constantly re-apply, unlike other nutrients.
__________________
Pond Liners

Old 26-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Hi John, I guess your prob would that you're not using a fertilizer. It's helps a lot in making your roses bloom faster, and people over here told you, apply some low nitrogen fertilizer on your flowers, and there surely will be a difference.
Best of luck .
__________________
Profit from this Van Meuwen Discount.
Old 30-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Please can you help me I dont seem to get a lot of flowers on my roses
Iget lots of leaves but not many flowers.Do i need to feed them with
anything .

Regards
John.
I've really been hearing a lot of good things about the Miracle-grow for plants. I think you might want to try those and spray to your plants, though I think that having leaves also mean that you have a healthy plant. I just also suggest not to over-water them.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Please can you help me I dont seem to get a lot of flowers on my roses
Iget lots of leaves but not many flowers.
Hey john, what kind of rose are you growing? How much is not a lot for you? Have tried counting the buds for each bush? However I think that having plenty leaves also means that yours is healthy. But of course we'd all want to have as much flowers and I think you might want to research about a fertilizer called Magic grow. I have been hearing so much good results from it.
Old 20-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered User

Gardening ranging in scale orchards, plantations along the boulevards with one or more different types of shrubs, trees and herbaceous plants, to residential yards including lawns and foundation plantings, large containers or Small grown indoors or outdoors. Gardening can be highly specialized, with one type of mature plant, or involve a large number of different plants in mixed plantings. It involves active participation in the cultivation of plants, and tend to be labor-intensive, which differentiates it from farming or forestry.