GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lost a couple of roses over the winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/181842-lost-couple-roses-over-winter.html)

June 18-03-2009 11:55 AM

Lost a couple of roses over the winter

I've lost some roses this winter and have no idea what got them, other
than their root system is gone. All that remains under ground is a
large bulb.I've never seen that happen with all the years I've grown
roses. Does anyone have any idea of what would eat or erode all the
roots. And of course, these were mainly antique type roses that I
spent more money on through mail order. AARGH!

June

YMC 07-04-2009 02:22 PM

"June" wrote in message
I've lost some roses this winter and have no idea what got them, other
than their root system is gone. All that remains under ground is a

What was the condition of the soil? Were the roses roots sitting in damp
soil?

Martin H. Eastburn 08-04-2009 04:24 AM

Lost a couple of roses over the winter

I'm in a very deep layer of old ocean/river bottom clay. Claybourne
group as I recall my Geo. Our roses sit in improved wood chip/sand/
black soil that is contained in a 3-4' bowl of brown clay. I use a
rototiller to make the hole and make the soil within useful elsewhere
in the yard. Often to cover over exposed roots of trees.

If we have an open hole - not planted yet - it will hold water for
several weeks or more. If the hole is filled, not as much water
gets in - but the soil is damp.

Our roses like it just fine.

I think you might have had something eat the roots or a fungus rot them.

Remember don't use old rose soil for a new rose. Something goes on.

Martin