Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered User

Default Roses In Hedge?

Hi I am new to gardening so forgive the silly questions - Is there a Rose bush that can be planted within a grown hedge to help with security (thorns) thanks peter
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Not a rose expert here, however I'll give it a try.

Climbing roses clinging on the outside and running through.

Roses filling under the hedge where the hedge can't or does not grow.

I think Holly would be better, but A massive cane of climbing rose
can be strong and nasty to work with.

Thorns - try Forth of July - thorny. Streaked red and white.

Martin

Old 28-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterllewellyn View Post
Hi I am new to gardening so forgive the silly questions - Is there a Rose bush that can be planted within a grown hedge to help with security (thorns) thanks peter
Most of the wild roses will do really well. Rosa canina is probably the easiest - do a search for bare root dog rose and you ought to find someone to supply you.

But the idea is good, there is almost always a rose in traditional country hedging.
__________________
John
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk
Old 24-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterllewellyn View Post
Hi I am new to gardening so forgive the silly questions - Is there a Rose bush that can be planted within a grown hedge to help with security (thorns) thanks peter
I agree with the previous post.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterllewellyn View Post
Is there a Rose bush that can be planted within a grown hedge to help with security (thorns) thanks peter
This might be too late for use but if not just type 'roses for hedges' in the Google search bar and you will find what you are looking for.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterllewellyn View Post
Hi I am new to gardening so forgive the silly questions - Is there a Rose bush that can be planted within a grown hedge to help with security (thorns) thanks peter
how about the eglangtyne it,s the sweet briar and very thorny a good barrier to intruders and scented foliage plus hundreds of single pink roses
Old 29-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered User

If you need them for security why not just lace your hedge with barbed wire? OR even better, razor wire? Haha only joking...

I suppose roses would look nicer and be more traditional...

Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Twiggy Hedge Roses Lew Roses 1 06-08-2004 04:04 PM
Twiggy Hedge Roses Lew Roses 0 06-08-2004 01:25 PM
Twiggy Hedge Roses Lew Roses 0 06-08-2004 01:25 PM
roses for a hedge? Kellie J. Berger Roses 27 25-07-2003 05:22 PM