Old 25-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered User

Smile help needed

I moved a climbing rose about two weeks ago from the front of the house north facing that was in totally the wrong place, to the rear and placed in a north facing position I was advised I did not have to cut it back to do this - I put it into a lot of home made compost kept it well watered and fed it, however it is looking really sorry for itself the foliage has died, also the buds that were on it. can anyone tell me if I should give up the ghost and if I do can I put another rambler in the same place i want it as a burgler deterrant as I have a wood and well used path at the rear of my house with just a 7' fence, which the local council put up recently to replace garages they knocked down. Hope someone can help
Old 26-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizfreespirit View Post
I moved a climbing rose about two weeks ago from the front of the house north facing that was in totally the wrong place, to the rear and placed in a north facing position I was advised I did not have to cut it back to do this - I put it into a lot of home made compost kept it well watered and fed it, however it is looking really sorry for itself the foliage has died, also the buds that were on it. can anyone tell me if I should give up the ghost and if I do can I put another rambler in the same place i want it as a burgler deterrant as I have a wood and well used path at the rear of my house with just a 7' fence, which the local council put up recently to replace garages they knocked down. Hope someone can help
Hi, tizfreespirit, I think you were badly advised as IMO it's much too late to be moving any plants, but especially roses and especially as the weather has now turned very warm. the only hope that you have is to cut off all the leaves (if thereare any left) and reduce all the growth to about 20cms from the main stem to reduce water loss from the plant as much as possible, if the new position is north facing you could also try to cover the pruned plant in plastic, which will also help with water loss (but not if it gets any sun as it will cook) but I fear that it may already be too late. If you decide to replant then that will be fine, one variety that is very vigorous and would grow along the top of the fence (to stop anybody from climbing over ? ) is one called Rosa filipes 'Kiftsgate' it has clusters of creamy white fragrant flowers but its rate of growth is staggerng, easily growing to 8to10 meters. Just out of interest the plant that I sell the most as being burgler unfriendly is Pyracantha , because it is so very thorny.
Best of luck with your problem, lannerman.
Old 26-05-2009, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default help needed

Make sure you don't over water.

Remember, once dug, the root has to re-grow. Perhaps that is going on.

If the dirt doesn't drain well - e.g. water in the hole - put a 2" plastic
pipe or a small coffee can - bottom out - sunk 90% and filled with gravel/stone.
That will wick out excess moisture.

It might be needing some food - we use a long term dissolving type - to help
it have the needed chemicals to grow with.

Good luck, we have two moved at this time ourselves.

Martin

Old 26-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
[...]
Thankyou so much for the advise I will give it all a try, altho the fragrant one sounds lovely - this one wasnt expensive so might just get a new one, although i hate giving up on it maybe if i tell it if it doesnt buck its ideas its heading for the chop I might scare it into life, seems to work with the house plants ha ha!!!