Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Registered User

Default Climbing roses

Hi,
I planted two roses called Times Past form Harkness a bout 2 years ago. Now I'm really new to a garden let alone roses but I'm really trying to learn and make a lovely garden. I'm trying to train the roses up over a rose arch and I have read all the books about training the main stems as horizontal as possible so that lateral shoots will form with the flowers. What I don't quite understand is that let's say on one of the plants there are two main stems and I'm training these in opposite directions around and up the side of the arch. But then one of the stems splits into 2 so not sure what I'm supposed to do then. Also I now have lots of lateral shoots that grow vertically from the main stem. Am I also supposed to train them in an horizontal fashion around the arch or just leave them to grow vertically? Some of these lateral stems look thicker than the main stems themselves.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzie View Post
[...]
Can anyone help me with this please?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Don't get too hung up on the aching thing. It's true you'll get better
lateral production if the main cane is not vertical, but its not necessary
to have the cane horizontal to achieve lateral production. I just try to
induce a bit of a bend, and it seems to work out fine. I even have pretty
good bloom production on the canes I leave vertical. That's why people can
have their climbers to cover the side of their house and still produce
blooms.

As far as training the laterals, you can do that after they have produced
blooms. Dead head them, and then treat them as canes, off of which new
laterals can be produced.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

--
donzie

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Think of the various bushes that are made against a house - branch and
cover - think of the arch as a horizontal plane and run the cane as
young as possible - keep it moving in the right direction.

We are doing the same with a Lady Banks over a bench arch. Birds love the arch.
The seat is useless. Useful for plants in pots.

Martin

Climbing Roses Rusty Mase Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Climbing Yellow roses for a fence TripFarmer Roses 4 19-03-2003 04:32 AM
Climbing Roses Vickie Andersen Roses 2 07-03-2003 06:32 PM
Climbing Roses KAren Jones Roses 7 04-03-2003 04:39 PM
Combining Roses with climbing vines Huskies4all Roses 9 18-02-2003 07:15 PM