GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bloom, or not? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/184390-bloom-not.html)

Mara 02-06-2009 11:24 PM

Bloom, or not?

I have about 20 roses in my back yard, hybrid teas, that did very well last
summer (except for having to battle canker.) However, this past winter I
apparently didn't get them mulched well enough and they died back. Much to my
surprise, they're coming back and are now ready to bloom, but there isn't much
to them - in some cases, only one or two stems. Should I allow them to bloom, or
remove the buds so they can grow better?

Thanks!

--
Today's forecast is: moderate to heavy patches of Frogs and a sunny outlook,
but with a belt of inflatable pink Lizards moving in from the west for the

Jeffrey L. Kline 03-06-2009 12:04 AM

Bloom, or not?

Let them bloom. If you want more leaf growth, don't dead head and use a
higher nitrogen fertilizer.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, zone 5