Old 15-07-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Beetles

Hello all. I have a fairly old ( 30 years at least ) flowering rose
bush which just finished it's first set of flowers and was starting a
new bunch. I noticed the first flower of the new set had some holes in
the petals and then I spotted a ovular shaped beetle about 1/2" long x
1/4" wide . There is a black stripe down the middle lengthwise and the
sides are a bronze color . The top of the pointed head is glossy and
dark purple . Any hints on what this may be and how to take care of it
before it causes big problems or is it too late ?
Thanks , Don,...

Old 15-07-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

If you scroll down a bit you will see three of these bugs on a pink
rose . These are a good approximation of what was on my plant .
http://progressivegardening.com/Prog...esRoseA250.jpg
Address:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...0%26ie%3DUTF-8
If this long addy doesn't work I'll try something else .

Old 15-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Keeney View Post
If you scroll down a bit you will see three of these bugs on a pink
rose . These are a good approximation of what was on my plant .
http://progressivegardening.com/Prog...esRoseA250.jpg
Address:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...0%26ie%3DUTF-8
If this long addy doesn't work I'll try something else .
Looks like the Japanese Beetle illustrated on this site: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...oNcD ACkvJpqI

Quite far down the page so keep scrolling!
Old 16-07-2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

The Japanese Beetles we had in El Paso in the 50-60's were green backed
and rather jeweled looking. As a kid, they attacked our sun flowers
and we plucked them off (we wanted the seed..) and some we attached
sewing thread and had them fly like a dog on a leash.

There might be many versions out there - not a bug guy myself. :-)

Martin

http://tinyurl.com/lthpwd
Address:http://tinyurl.com/ndyp83
If this long addy doesn't work I'll try something else .

Looks like the Japanese Beetle illustrated on this site:
http://tinyurl.com/m3k7xl

Quite far down the page so keep scrolling!