GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing roses from seeds, help please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/185792-growing-roses-seeds-help-please.html)

Emerald BlueRos 17-07-2009 11:56 PM

Growing roses from seeds, help please?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me. I've had my rose seeds in a seed tray for 6 weeks now, and according to the instruction leaflet I have, I am supposed to have had 'true leaves' by now.

A few days after they were planted, a stalk was visible and it had two small green leaves on it. I figured this was the 'non-true leaves'. It died after a couple of weeks.

Then in another part of the seed tray, there was another green sprout. It's still growing, but it looks like grass. I've been trying to find pictures online of what the first and second leaves are supposed to look like but I'm not finding anything. Please can you help me?

I keep the soil damp, there is 3-4 inches of soil in the tray, there are 5 seeds - one in each corner and one in the middle all equally spaced out, and it sits on a windowsill indoors as per the instruction leaflet.

Am I doing things wrong?

Donald Keeney 20-07-2009 06:53 PM

Growing roses from seeds, help please?

First , let me wish you some good luck . It's not as easy as it would
seem .
Here's some online articles :
How to Grow Roses From Seed
Address:http://scvrs.homestead.com/hybridizekb1.html Maryland Rose
Society Online: Propagation by seed
Address:http://www.mgs.md.gov/mdrose/rfaq3seed.html
In the past two growing seasons I've had one sprout that went on to
become a flowering bush and I've tried a few dozen seeds.
Again , Good luck ,... Don,....