Old 23-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Table

Default Spring in Tennessee

Hi everyone.

As a relatively new rose person, (about five years) I have a few
season questions.

I want to transplant some roses from pots to the ground and some
from the ground to pots. We have had a LOT of rain lately but
the temps have been in the 40-50 degree range in the daytime
and in the 20-low 40's at night.

Our last freeze happens in late march, usually.

I think I should be transplanting as soon as the rain sorta
quits. Am I on the right track?

Also I would like to get a headstart on the blackspot this year
and have been thinking of spraying with Daconil.

Am I still on the right track?

Table from middle Tennessee
Zone 6b
Old 24-02-2003, 02:04 PM
dave weil

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:49:57 -0600, Table wrote:

Hi everyone.

As a relatively new rose person, (about five years) I have a few
season questions.

I want to transplant some roses from pots to the ground and some
from the ground to pots. We have had a LOT of rain lately but
the temps have been in the 40-50 degree range in the daytime
and in the 20-low 40's at night.

Our last freeze happens in late march, usually.

Actually, it seems to happen the first week of April (at least in
Nashville). YMMV though. The *official* last frost date is something
like the 14th of April, but it hasn't been that late in the last
couple of years. Seems like last year we had a freeze on the 3rd or
4th but I could be wrong (I wish I weren't too lazy to keep a
journal). I seem to remember all of the daffodils in town getting hit
hard around that time and it seems that this happened the year before
as well...

Also, this winter seems to be weird, so I'd think that all bets are
off. We've gotten far more snow than usual, although last year seemed
to be more brutal in terms of sustained cold temps (couldn't tell by
my gas bills though).

I think I should be transplanting as soon as the rain sorta
quits. Am I on the right track?

You can certainly plant now. It would be a good time, since you won't
have to worry about moisture for a little while. Make sure that you
amend the soil with some peat moss or something light so that you
won't compact the soil too much. You want the soil to be compacted up
to a point, but that's usually accomplished by watering after the
fact, letting the soil settle. You'll be adding already compacted soil
back to the whole and I'm not sure if this would be good, especially
if you have a high clay component.

I'd wait to go from ground to pot though. For instance, I think our
low tonight is supposed to be 28. We still have a good month of
potential freezing temps (as well as the chance for snow). Why not
wait? Sure, the plants are already starting to show bud swelling, but
it's no big deal.

Also I would like to get a headstart on the blackspot this year
and have been thinking of spraying with Daconil.

Sounds good. I'd start around the time of the last frost, when the
plants really start breaking bud. That's the time that I do my spring
pruning as well.

Am I still on the right track?

Yep, think so.

Table from middle Tennessee
Zone 6b

BTW, I've got even less experience than you, so take what I say with a
grain of salt g.

Yellow Roses Tennessee Randy Roses 5 24-08-2004 08:02 PM
University of Tennessee Amateur Science Survey Amateur Science Survey Plant Science 0 02-10-2003 05:12 PM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 07:23 AM
Starting a lawn in Tennessee - HELP! GarciaGM Gardening 2 29-03-2003 02:32 AM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-02-2003 05:38 PM