Old 26-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Registered User

Default Move a Rose

Hi can anyone advise me?

I want to move the rose "Princes Trust" which has been a Pot for 4yrs into a position in the Garden where another Rose has been for the past 6 months, will this be alright? and should I cut this back to give it a better chance of survival, and would now be a good time to do it.

The Rose I want to move into the Pot is " Gertrude Jekyll" I understand that this should be cut back by a third in Jan/Feb would it be better to cut it back when we move it to the Pot ( this is the Rose we have had in the Garden 6 months)

Shirley
Cambridge UK
Old 27-10-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Not an expert here, but a reader for a while...

It has been said that one is not to plant a rose into a previous rose hole.

Something about plant disease. Easy in the pot- dump all and clean - put new
soil and plant.

In the ground it is more work - dig deeper and wider - replace with soil
from elsewhere in the yard (swap soil).

That is what I understood.

And in jest : put the Princes Trust where a relative of Jekyll and Hyde was ?
Maybe that is ok since Jekyll was relocated into confident!

Good luck on the relocations.

Martin

Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

Not an expert here, but a reader for a while...

It has been said that one is not to plant a rose into a previous rose
hole.

Something about plant disease.

It's called 'rose sick soil'. However from my reading on that subject, it
has always seemed to me that it depended on a rose having been in the ground
for something in the order of 10 years or more. I suspect that if the rose
the OP intends to replace has only been there for 6 months, then the soil
should be OK.

A friend of ours has (he says) come up with a solution to dealing with the
rose sick soil problem. If he wants to replace a rose that has been in the
groudn for a long time, he digs a hole and drops in a cardboard carton that
is big enough to hold 12 full size wine bottles and then plants the rose
into the box. He says that by the time the rose roots work their way
through the disintegrating box, it powers away and shows no ill effects.

It sounds reasonable but I certainly haven't yet had a reason to test his
technique.