Old 17-02-2010, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Is there anyone still here, I need help!

I have to replace all (9) of my hybrid tea roses thanks to the Deer. I
have had black spot in the past and want to know if I can treat the
soil with anything to try to prevent it in my new roses. I plan to
rake off all the mulch / leaves but is that enough? Can I re use the
same mulch? I am thinking probably not, but can that be treated as
well? Should I use something as simple as bleach and water or a
stronger chemical mix? I am putting up an electric fence to keep the
deer out this year. Not happy with how that is going to look but I
have tried everything else. I know it has been a long winter but maybe
if we start talking about spring it will come sooner
Thanks in advance,
MJ
Old 22-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I have to replace all (9) of my hybrid tea roses thanks to the Deer. I
have had black spot in the past and want to know if I can treat the
soil with anything to try to prevent it in my new roses. I plan to
rake off all the mulch / leaves but is that enough? Can I re use the
same mulch? I am thinking probably not, but can that be treated as
well? Should I use something as simple as bleach and water or a
stronger chemical mix? I am putting up an electric fence to keep the
deer out this year. Not happy with how that is going to look but I
have tried everything else. I know it has been a long winter but maybe
if we start talking about spring it will come sooner
Thanks in advance,
MJ
Hi,
The old fashioned method for dealing with roses and their fungal issues was to spray both the dormant plants and the surrounding soil with a tar based cleaner such as Armatillox or Jeyes fluid. This is now a difficult situation because EU laws now stipulate that such products cannot be sold for such a purpose because of the risk of polluting local waterways from leaching. I understand that in order to get round some the legal issues the manufacturers of Armatillox have now changed the formulation. I would think you might get some up to date advice perhaps from your local garden centre on this. Failing that, Armatillox have a helpline phone number on the bottles of their product.
Good luck with the deer deterrents.
Regards
Victoria