Old 29-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Kevin Eberwein

Default Help!! My roses may be dying.

Hi all. I'm new to roses and I seem to be having a problem. I bought
4 bare root roses and received one more from a friend for my new
house. I live near Raleigh, NC and planted the roses in the last
weekend of February after soaking them for 24 hours. I got Ink Spots
from one nursery, Taboo, Stainless Steel, and Gina Lollobrigida from
another nursery, and a purple rose from Lowes. Ink Spots and the
purple rose seem to be doing much better than the other three.
Several of the canes have turned gray and a lot of leaves have turned
yellow and or brown. I sprayed with Ortho RosePride (.25% Acephate,
0.10% Resmethrin, 0.10% Triforine) last week and plan on spraying
every week or so. This spray is suppose to stop & prevent Black Spot,
Rust, and Mildew while also killing various insects. None of the
plants have produces roses, but all have some buds that have started
to form. I've put pictures of them on my web site at
http://eberwein.dyndns.org/roses for you to look at. Note that the
pictures range from 450K to 800K in size so they may take a long time
to view. Can anyone tell what the problem is by these pictures and my
description.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 29-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Shiva

On 28 Apr 2003 19:25:49 -0700, (Kevin Eberwein)
wrote:

Hi all. I'm new to roses and I seem to be having a problem. I bought
4 bare root roses and received one more from a friend for my new
house. I live near Raleigh, NC and planted the roses in the last
weekend of February after soaking them for 24 hours.

Next time, soak them longer. A week is good.

I got Ink Spots
from one nursery, Taboo, Stainless Steel, and Gina Lollobrigida from
another nursery, and a purple rose from Lowes. Ink Spots and the
purple rose seem to be doing much better than the other three.

You need to water your roses more. You should have been out there
watering the bare roots every day to make sure the canes did not dry
out until you saw the first growth. Thereafter, two deeeeeeeep
soakings a week might suffice. Meaning: water with a gentle stream
until runoff begins, then move to another bed and come back three or
four times.

Several of the canes have turned gray and a lot of leaves have turned
yellow and or brown. I sprayed with Ortho RosePride (.25% Acephate,
0.10% Resmethrin, 0.10% Triforine) last week and plan on spraying
every week or so.

You should not have used this stuff on your plants until you saw maybe
5-7 inches of strong new growth.

This spray is suppose to stop & prevent Black Spot,
Rust, and Mildew while also killing various insects. None of the
plants have produces roses, but all have some buds that have started
to form.

What is being sold here as Rose Pride (I am in Raleigh) is just the
fungicide. The combination insecticide/fungicide is called Orthenex.

But that is not your problem. Your roses are dehydrated. Give them
three times the water you think is sufficient, and they might survive.
They have to drain well.

That is all you have to do until they get bigger and stronger.

Next time, do not go near your bare roots with any chemicals at all
until they have 5-7 inches of robust new growth. And water more. No
fertilizing until much later.

Good luck.

Old 30-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Cass

Unique Too wrote:

Cass writes:

Next time, try growing your bareroots in big 5 gallon pots (free
discarded black plastic pots from the nursery) until they get going and
look nice and healthy. You also should mulch the canes until they leaf
out with about 2 inches of new growth. Then you slowly remove the mulch
by washing it off with the hose a little bit every day. It's easy to
do in a pot with a cardboard collar. I mulch up to the cane tips.
Here's a photo of what I mean:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ulchCollar.jpg

Cass, Thanks for the photo of your cardboard collar. I know it's
really too late for bare roots here, but I've got two coming next
week anyway. I've done it before so I expect I can do it again. I
think your collar idea will help. Before a heavy rain would wash off
the mulch and I'd have to pile it on again (and again and again). Do
you just tear away the collar a bit at a time to remove the mulch?

I think I pulled the collar off all at once. That removed the first
increment of mulch. Then I just hosed it off a little every few days. I
always kill any shoots under the mulch if I even think about touching
them, so I use the hose. Took about a week. Good luck with your late
BR's.
Old 30-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Kevin Eberwein

(Shiva) wrote in message news:3a4765342f6bef5e4fb020a1570cb2f1@TeraNews.. .

You need to water your roses more. You should have been out there
watering the bare roots every day to make sure the canes did not dry
out until you saw the first growth. Thereafter, two deeeeeeeep
soakings a week might suffice. Meaning: water with a gentle stream
until runoff begins, then move to another bed and come back three or
four times.

I've got a mister system installed in the bed that has a downward
spray so that the foliage of the roses doesn't get wet. I've been
running it for 30 minutes twice a week. This was enough to see water
soaking into the ground at the base of the raised bed.

You should not have used this stuff on your plants until you saw maybe
5-7 inches of strong new growth.

I didn't spray the roses until last week and all of them had at least
6 inches of new growth on them.

What is being sold here as Rose Pride (I am in Raleigh) is just the
fungicide. The combination insecticide/fungicide is called Orthenex.

But that is not your problem. Your roses are dehydrated. Give them
three times the water you think is sufficient, and they might survive.
They have to drain well.

That is all you have to do until they get bigger and stronger.

Next time, do not go near your bare roots with any chemicals at all
until they have 5-7 inches of robust new growth. And water more. No
fertilizing until much later.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'm going to step up the watering schedule so that I'm
watering at least every other day. Should I shoot for watering every
day??
Old 30-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Kevin Eberwein

Cass wrote in message . ..
Kevin Eberwein wrote:

Hi all. I'm new to roses and I seem to be having a problem. ....

I've put pictures of them on my web site at
http://eberwein.dyndns.org/roses for you to look at. Note that the
pictures range from 450K to 800K in size so they may take a long time
to view. Can anyone tell what the problem is by these pictures and my
description.

Hi, Kevin. The cane disease on your rose Gina Lollobrigida could be
canker, which is bacterial, or could be fungal. Roses can contract that
stuff during the pruning and cold storage process. Try to buy only
perfectly clean bare root roses. Get a good pair of pruners (shell out
the money for Felcos) and prune off those diseased canes and throw them
away. Cut at least an inch below the yuck. Next time, prune off the
yuck before you plant the rose.

Next time, try growing your bareroots in big 5 gallon pots (free
discarded black plastic pots from the nursery) until they get going and
look nice and healthy. You also should mulch the canes until they leaf
out with about 2 inches of new growth. Then you slowly remove the mulch
by washing it off with the hose a little bit every day. It's easy to
do in a pot with a cardboard collar. I mulch up to the cane tips.
Here's a photo of what I mean:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ulchCollar.jpg

Taboo is different. Is there any fungus on the reverse side of the
leaves? The spots are unusual. Do they look like holes? Might be spray
damage, tho I've never seen anything like that because I don't spray
often.

I'm not sure which rose is Stainless Steel - the one at the back of the
picture (showing lots of cane disease) or the one in the front. If you
see leaves folding, it can lack of water or early signs of powdery
mildew. One very good spray for powdery mildew is jojoba oil based and
is called Erase. It gives the foliage a nice shiny look and is quite
effective here. It is also not a harsh, dangerous chemical.

I see you are using micro-sprayers. Spraying water on the foliage while
you are trying to fight fungal disease (tho I don't see much evidence
on the foliage) is self-defeating. You might be better off using
shrublers or pressure compensating dripperline that water the soil
only. If you need the wash the foliage, you can control when you do it
and just use the hose. Whatever you use, you need to supervise water
coverage in a new bed by raking that nice mulch over to one side in a
number of places and checking the soil for moisture.

Nice raised bed. You're doing good stuff. Get a good rose book, like
the Ortho book, or read about rose care online. The American Rose
Society has a lot of information: www.ars.org

Thanks for the info. I spent some time last night pruning the canes
and removing the dead leaves from the roses. I'm also planing on
watering more often. Hopefully this will help.

As for the misters, I had read that you don't want them to spray the
roses so I bought the ones that spray downward. I'm going to try to
get some jojoba oil based spray this weekend and look for signs of
mildew. If things get worse, I'll be asking for more help.

Look for pictures when/if the roses survive.

Old 30-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Unique Too

Cass writes:

I think I pulled the collar off all at once. That removed the first
increment of mulch. Then I just hosed it off a little every few days. I
always kill any shoots under the mulch if I even think about touching
them, so I use the hose. Took about a week. Good luck with your late
BR's.

Okay, I'll try it. I've got plenty of cardboard at work that should do the job
well. The last bare roots arrived in June when we were having daily rain
storms. They washed off the mulch for me until I got tired of putting it back
on. I did loose two of those roses, not to lack of moisture, they drowned.
Their pots didn't drain properly and by the time I caught it, they were already
too far gone. But I didn't feel too bad, 17 of 19 survived.