Old 20-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Default type of soil

What's the best type of soil for planting roses?
__________________
vegetable garden
Old 21-04-2010, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

We have great results with a mixture of sand, clay
medium ground wood chips all mixed. The roses we have
are in the 5 year and are in full bloom. Reds, Yellows,
Purples, and specials. Even our Mr. Lincoln has two open at
once. Good rain when we needed it and not much since.
We add this mixture as the plants consume the wood chips
making good branches. We also believe in the time release fertilizer.

Make sure the bottom of the hole drains and won't drown a plant.
If it is slow, a foot or two of white plastic pipe with holes
drilled sideways into the bottom part and then driven into
the ground 3-4" from the plant. The top sticks out say 2-3".
Can be painted black or brown - (top part) it wicks out
the water. I do that with some fruit trees and nut trees as well.

Martin