Old 18-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered User

Default What's wrong with my rose

Hi, I bought a rose a few years ago and planted it near a fence in full sun, I have to confess I have no idea what type it was, each year it just puts up a single stem that grows about 4m tall with one flower on the top. I've tried prunning it before Xmas after Xmas but still the same result. Any advice please?
Old 19-05-2010, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Only a shot in the dark - is the rose root bound ?

How about are you using long term (rock or dissolve slow) fertilizer ?

The chemical mix might not be attuned to flowers but to green or only root.

Next to a fence - might mean cement lime leaching. Wrong ph.

A soil sample - next to and several feet away and deep in both spots -
might show something in a report. Can you get soil tested at a county
Ag office ?

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Matthews View Post
Hi, I bought a rose a few years ago and planted it near a fence in full sun, I have to confess I have no idea what type it was, each year it just puts up a single stem that grows about 4m tall with one flower on the top. I've tried prunning it before Xmas after Xmas but still the same result. Any advice please?
i had this problem and what i did i cut it right down in the winter around novem ber it looked like it had died by xmas but when it started again in spring the result was marvoulous you should see it now i cant believe it
Old 16-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Registered User

It is next to a fence so cement leaching could be a factor, also the ground is very heavy so possibly root bound, I've tried pruning it hard in November but it still did the same thing.

This year it has once more started to put out its long stem so I have cut this back to see what happens. If no success I'll move it away from the fence into some less heavy soil and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 08-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Matthews View Post
Hi, I bought a rose a few years ago and planted it near a fence in full sun, I have to confess I have no idea what type it was, each year it just puts up a single stem that grows about 4m tall with one flower on the top. I've tried prunning it before Xmas after Xmas but still the same result. Any advice please?
The same thing actually happened to me, I planted one next to me gate and the same thing happened, just like you described, so it might sound silly but I believe it has something to do with the fence. It's probably restricting the plant's growth. - I'm no expert but I do believe it is due to restriction. Try re-planting it?
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers