Old 24-07-2010, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Pruning Roses - newbie

We bought a rose for our yard about 2 months ago, our first one.
Neither my wife or I have experience with roses. I bought a book
called Taylor's Guide to Roses and it says to "cut back to t he first
bud eye BELOW for first 5-leaf leaflet". The roses stopped blooming.

I now searched the internet it in most places it says to cut ABOVE the
first 5-leaf leaflet.

Which one is correct, and if it ABOVE is there a way to get the rose
blooming again?

Thanks for any help!

Richard
Old 25-07-2010, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I'll say two things -

We cut above the 5. We leave a half inch or just less.

A branch bud will grow from the leaf joint and in the direction
of the leaf. So you might want to pick the next one down...
Want to grow branches up and out and not so much as make a ball
witch can mildew when wet and cut from air flow.

Remember - trim the old blooms off but don't cut deep into the height.
It is a growing time and will likely bloom a time or two before winter.

Our Lady Banks blooms early and has in the last month put on a 3' or longer
branch that we need to tie up. Nice to work with - thorn less.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Old 25-07-2010, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Hi Martin, thank you for the response.

To clarify, are you saying that it is OK to cut below the first 5-leaf
leaf if necessary (in order to keep the rose from growing inward)?

I was worred that since we cut between the 1st and 2nd 5 lieaves that
the rose would not grow anymore on those stems.

For the record the rose is Lafter rose which we bought from the Harris
County (Houston area) Master Gardeners Society, they had a coupe dozen
of them for sale at their annual sale so I assume they should grow
well in this area.

Thanks for your help.
Richard

Old 25-07-2010, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Una Una is offline

Lafter is a shrubby, rebloooming hybrid tea. Right now you should only
be deadheading, nothing more.

Una

Old 26-07-2010, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Yes - don't leave much of a stick beyond the 5 leaf. This is all deadheading
or cutting off the flowers that are going bad and keeping them from growing
hips (bulb looking ) under the flow taking the energy of the plant.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/garden_basics.htm
Texas A&M has some good information - that is where the Master Gardeners
are trained from - locally.

We have a friend in Temple that is a Master. She has a complex garden,
but gives lectures on Herbs.

If you get into roses and enjoy them - a long day trip or a two day
would be to the Rose Garden in Tyler. Nice park. All of the local
rose producers in the local area support it. Rose parade comes from
there - the Tyler one.

Check out their web for best dates and times.

Martin [ up in Lufkin north of Houston. ]

Old 29-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Hi , I found this book helpful foa href="http://fbf635wb1qmwhs00uflhqb2m9q.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=R4PTR52J" target="_top"Click Here!/ar beginners here is the link
Old 29-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered User

Hi,I found this book very good for beginnersa href="http://fbf635wb1qmwhs00uflhqb2m9q.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=R4PTR52J" target="_top"Click Here!/athis book was got some great little tips on looking after roses.joe.

newbie ... Pruning akhtar Roses 1 13-01-2004 11:02 PM
Newbie Pruning Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Newbie Question - Pruning a Clematis Daphne Dean United Kingdom 7 09-04-2003 07:21 PM
Newbie Question - Pruning a Clematis - Thank you all Daphne Dean United Kingdom 0 07-04-2003 05:21 PM
Newbie Pruning Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 19-03-2003 10:32 PM