Old 10-09-2010, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Overwintering mini roses?

Hi there,

I have some mini roses in 12" terra cotta pots. They used to be indoor
roses, but this summer they became outdoor roses. I didn't have room
in the garden to plant them in the ground, hence why they are in pots.
They did quite well, but I don't know how to overwinter them, or if I
should bring them back inside. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so
our winters can get quite cold.

The only other roses I have are wild roses, and I never have to worry
about them!

Thanks,
Christine
Old 19-09-2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Christine" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi there,

I have some mini roses in 12" terra cotta pots. They used to be indoor
roses, but this summer they became outdoor roses. I didn't have room
in the garden to plant them in the ground, hence why they are in pots.
They did quite well, but I don't know how to overwinter them, or if I
should bring them back inside. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so
our winters can get quite cold.

The only other roses I have are wild roses, and I never have to worry
about them!

Thanks,
Christine

They will not survive, if you keep them outside in pots. I tried it once,
they got
too much frost to their roots. Luckily I had propagated them before, so it
wasn't
a total loss. If the pots are too big for inside, you could plant them
outside just for
winter and put them into pots again in late spring.

G Willi

Old 29-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Registered User

I just got a potted miniature rose as a gift and am wondering if this is something I could plant outdoors. I will probably try anyway over the summer but wanted to know if you have any tips to help better it's chances of survival.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

We had a few in a garden - edge of the Butterfly bed. THey lasted several
years, but a hard freeze got them and another rose. We don't - and should have
wrapped them up in blankets or other materials over the winter. Remember
they are hot house / green house for the winter as they were grown.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"princewest13" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news

--
princewest13

It is a good habit to cover the bottom parts of roses with earth for winter.
In March you can begin to remove it step-by-step and later, when you see
which branches will grow and which won't, cut off the dead parts.

G Willi

Old 21-10-2010, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

They will not survive, if you keep them outside in pots. I tried it once,
they got
too much frost to their roots. Luckily I had propagated them before, so it
wasn't
a total loss. If the pots are too big for inside, you could plant them
outside just for
winter and put them into pots again in late spring.

G Willi

Thanks...I was thinking this morning that I'll have to bring them in.
The current blooms did get a touch of frost one night when I forgot to
cover them up. I think they enjoyed being outdoors for the summer, but
I didn't realize they would be so delicate!

Best,
Christine
Old 21-10-2010, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Sep 29, 9:35*am, princewest13
wrote:
I just got a potted miniature rose as a gift and am wondering if this is
something I could plant outdoors. I will probably try anyway over the
summer but wanted to know if you have any tips to help better it's
chances of survival.

--
princewest13

Hi!

My mini roses are four years old, at least. My husband bought them for
me as a Valentine's Day gift. When I did some research on them, I
found that they often don't last long because people don't know how to
care for them. I have transferred mine to larger and larger pots over
the years. They seem to need lots of water. There are also times when
it seems like they're going to die, but if you keep nurturing them,
they bounce back.
Old 21-10-2010, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Sep 29, 8:35*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
We had a few in a garden - edge of the Butterfly bed. *THey lasted several
years, but a hard freeze got them and another rose. *We don't *- and should have
wrapped them up in blankets or other materials over the winter. *Remember
they are hot house / green house for the winter as they were grown.

Thanks Martin! I am going to bring them in tonight.They are looking a
little poor...they seemed to enjoy being out in the summer, but they
will definitely like being back indoors.

In praise of supermarket mini roses. Karen Gardening 9 27-07-2004 05:05 PM
Sad Mini Roses FireDragon Gardening 9 01-08-2003 04:49 AM
Cheapie mini roses Jane Roses 5 19-05-2003 04:20 PM
Mini roses from NC nursery laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 3 01-05-2003 07:20 PM
Alyssum was Mini roses from NC nursery Susan H. Simko North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 07:08 PM