GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/195020-climbing-rose.html)

dave in norfolk 28-12-2010 08:23 PM

Climbing rose

We moved into an old house and there is a climbing rose that has fallen over away from the house. To move it into the right place to grow it up the house again I planned to put in the ground a couple of stakes. I was then going to tie some rope to the rose and stake and gradually pull up the rose an inch or two at a time. Does anybody think this would work or should I take it out and replant? Thank you in advance, Dave.

londeed 19-01-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave in norfolk (Post 908561)
We moved into an old house and there is a climbing rose that has fallen over away from the house. To move it into the right place to grow it up the house again I planned to put in the ground a couple of stakes. I was then going to tie some rope to the rose and stake and gradually pull up the rose an inch or two at a time. Does anybody think this would work or should I take it out and replant? Thank you in advance, Dave.

I think it should be replant.

fran 01-02-2011 11:39 PM

Climbing rose

you can cut most of it back, and train the thinnest, newest canes. If
the rose has lasted this long, do what you can to preserve it - the
vast majority of roses can stand a hefty trimming, and come back
strong as ever.