Old 01-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Theo Asir

Default Austin blooms disintegrate?

Yes! They will continue to do that.
Austin bred them for the cooler summers
of Britain. In our warmer summers they are
notorious for doing that.

Its a function of the heat once the temperature
consistently approaches 90F they shatter.

There are a few austins that resist though.
My Tamora, Braithwaite & Symphony take
heat relatively well.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Susan Solomon" wrote in message
.. .
I've been admiring David Austin roses in rose catalogs for several years.
This year I decided to add several to my little rose garden.
I purchased the following:
Mary Rose,
Evelyn, and Glamis Castle for bedding,
and
St Swithun, Bro. Cadfael and Kathryn Morley for growing over a gazebo.

All my new plants are beautiful and healthy (although slightly prone to
mildew) and have many buds; most will be blooming next week. The problem?
Mary Rose has begun to bloom - beautiful, colorful and abundant pink
poufs... but they fade and disintegrate within 2 days! I'm so

disappointed!
Is this what I have to look forward to?

In their defense, this is the roses' first year in their new home, so

their
roots are still developing. Even so, my HTs all hold up for at least 4 or

5
days before dropping their petals. My Romantica floribunda, Guy De
Maupassant, held up for almost a week!

What are others' experiences with these roses?
TIA!
Sue
(SoCal Zone 9 - SB)