Old 01-05-2003, 08:44 PM
torgo

Default Tigress pictures, plus Granada (ATTN DANIEL!}

On Thu, 01 May 2003 16:34:44 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

Torgo--I love Tigress, do you? I have Scentimental and it looks
something like it. It also gets bs easily and shatters quickly and all
that other stuff that makes people call roses "dogs." However--every
bloom is different, and the scent is great!! It is the first rose I
ordered three of.

So far I absolutely love Tigress. The blooms are a little on the
small side, but then again I only planted the things a few weeks ago,
so I'm amazed that I have blooms at all. They are certainly fragrant
(I've seen them listed as "mild" on at least one web site, but the J&P
box said "strong". The box was right.) and the swirls and stripes
are really wild. Very photogenic too.

Your Granada (Hey, Daniel!) looks EXACTLY like mine. I guess that is
pink on the edges but more like fuschia than the light pink Daniel's
was showing. See what I mean, Daniel? This is how mine is different.
The blending of the colors makes me not really see pink, if that makes
sense. How do you like that scent, Torgo? God what a rose. Another for
you: Rio Samba. Similar colors, but true yellow, very vigorous and
disease resistant, VERY fragrant, loves heat. Mine is blooming next to
the deep wine colored Tradescant, and wow. Love those contrasting
colors.

I really love the difference between the two blooms, which I think
shows up very well in the pics. #1 is mostly orange, with a burst of
yellow in the center and tinges of a vibrant pink on the edge. The
effect is like a tropical sunrise. #2 has a lighter shade of pink and
much more of it, with the orange replaced by more of a light apricot.
It looks like it came right out of a pastel painting.

I haven't tried Rio Samba yet, but I'm giving Party Time a shot this
year. Is your Granada as much of an attention-demanding beast as
mine? I'm hoping mine will improve and become less troublesome with
age. It was in really bad shape when I got it last July - yellow
leaves and loaded with black spot.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bgs12345/...&.dir=/Pics_02

Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Daniel Hanna

In 890621809c91a5e46a6a66bdbf84f111@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
Your Granada (Hey, Daniel!) looks EXACTLY like mine. I guess that is
pink on the edges but more like fuschia than the light pink Daniel's
was showing. See what I mean, Daniel? This is how mine is different.
The blending of the colors makes me not really see pink, if that makes
sense.

I see what you mean. Having looked at the photos, I hope my Granada
develops along those lines. I've bought it in our autumn (Sth
hemisphere) so I'll pamper it through to winter and give it a
springboard for next season.

Interestingly there are a lot of rose bushes on sale at the larger
cheaper department stores - not old stock, they've come in 1 month
before winter! The latest retail theory seems to be that they can sell
these because:

(a) They are in flower - some of them anyway; and
(b) They're promoting autumn (fall) planting as a way of giving the
roses a head start for next spring.

Indirectly I am using Granada and St Swithun (a newish Austin) to test
that theory. I'll compare performance next spring with any bare roots I
order in winter.