Old 02-05-2003, 07:32 AM
torgo

Default aaauuuuggggghhhhh !

One of my recent orders arrived today, so in beautiful, clear, 76
degree and sunny skies I filled the wheelbarrow with water and put
those beautiful new babies in to soak.

I was hoping to transplant a few buddleias before sunset to help clear
out a large section of space for some of the new roses.

That plan was canceled, quite abruptly, by a sudden massive hailstorm.

What is with the weather this spring?? I don't know who this La Nina
person is, but I already hate the bitch !

Over the last six weeks, we've had (1) a flood, then several days of
80 degree weather, causing everything to break dormancy just in time
for (2) a hard freeze, then warm and dry weather (3) causing pollen
count to rise above 10000 Yes, TEN freaking THOUSAND - this is not
a typo.

The fun continued last Friday (4) with massive wind storms that ripped
roofs off of buildings even without the aid of (5) the accompanying
wave of tornados, including funnel clouds sighted downtown. (The pics
on the news were intense.)

Not weird enough yet? Tuesday we had (6) an earthquake hitting 4.9 on
the Richter scale. A freaking EARTHQUAKE???? I never knew Atlanta
was in California.

And today it was hail. Over 20 minutes of larger-than-marble sized
fury falling out of the sky. Exactly how many signs of the
Apocalypse are there supposed to be, anyway?

Maybe I shouldn't bother transplanting the buddleias. They'll
probably just get hit by a meteor tomorrow...

Old 02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

torgo wrote:
One of my recent orders arrived today, so in beautiful, clear, 76
degree and sunny skies I filled the wheelbarrow with water and put
those beautiful new babies in to soak.

My sympathies for your travails.

Not weird enough yet? Tuesday we had (6) an earthquake hitting 4.9 on
the Richter scale. A freaking EARTHQUAKE???? I never knew Atlanta
was in California.

True.

But wasn't one of the very massive historic earthquakes on this
continent that made the Mississippi flow in the other direction for a
while? (I do realize that this is not exaclty applicable here, but just
wondering ...)

And today it was hail. Over 20 minutes of larger-than-marble sized
fury falling out of the sky. Exactly how many signs of the
Apocalypse are there supposed to be, anyway?

Time for Kalki to make his appearance, it would seem g. At least that
is what my grandmother would say in case you were wondering
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/k/kalki.html.

Maybe I shouldn't bother transplanting the buddleias. They'll
probably just get hit by a meteor tomorrow...

Transplanting Buddleias is very heavy work. And they are lovely plants,
well worth the effort. So, don't go having a meteor shower on them ...

We have had thundershowers and hail in late April, and tomorrow morning
a heavy May storm is heading towards us. BTW, it is not La Nina but El
Nino to be blamed. El Nino is superimposed on La Vieja this year, I
heard them saying around here.

Good luck.

--
Radika
California

Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

Yup! in New Madrid, Missouri
about 100 miles east of where I live.

Recent estimate put it as a 8.9.

It was the Missouri that flowed backwards
as the 30 ft level change altered topography.

The next one is 30 years over due here in
the land of no seismic protection.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 02-05-2003, 04:56 PM
torgo

On Fri, 02 May 2003 15:00:32 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

And today it was hail. Over 20 minutes of larger-than-marble sized

And that made you come in.
Over Here we only come in when it approaches
basebal sizes. Heh!

Here's another sign that I'm now a full-fledged rose-aholic - coming
inside didn't even cross my mind. All I thought about was getting my
brand new plants under the deck where they wouldn't get pelted by the
ice.