Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Shiva

Default Newbie loking for dry insecticide applicator

On Fri, 2 May 2003 12:44:41 -0400, "Paul Reynolds"
wrote:

First, we know next to nothing about roses other than they are beautiful and
brighten up our day.

They really are wonderful, aren't they?

We just got another small plot of adjacent land that has long uncared for
rose bushes, (maybe tea roses?).
The bushes were covered with small bugs and ants that were eating the buds.

Hate that. First thing I would do it spray them all down with a fine,
hard spray of water, then come back later and see what comes crawling
back. I guess you could try to identify the insects before spraying
them off with water. But my first instinct would be to get those
bushes clean.

I got some Carbaryl from the local feed/seed store but the directions say to
dust not only the tops of the leaves but the bottoms also.
Too many and too big to try sprinkling on the undersides so I was wondering
is there something like a sprayer that can be used with dry powders?
Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

I think both Carbaryl and the idea of applying dry insecticide to
roses are very bad ideas. And I am NOT against using insecticides--I
use a systemic (is absorbed by the plants and just kills what eats
them) insecticide every ten days. It is mixed 2 tablespoons to the
gallon, and sprayed on the plants until the leaves begin to drip. I
try to get the undersides of the leaves, but it is hit or miss.

So why is dry insecticide/Carbaryl a bad idea, imo? Powder is just too
easy to breathe--and this is not stuff you want to breathe unless you
want permanent lung damage--and to get into your eyes--it can blind
you. And, Carbaryl kills EVERYTHING. Some insects (referred to as
beneficials) are good for your roses in that they eat the bad insects.

I think you ought to first wash off those nice old bushes with a hard
spray of water--then try to identify what kind of insects are eating
your roses. (Ants don't eat roses--but they love the sticky honeydew
made by aphids, which do eat roses.)

Where are you? That is an important piece of info.

And Welcome!

Paul n Bev

Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Paul Reynolds

OOPS!!!
forgot link to flower;
http://home.mindspring.com/~pb.reynolds/_wsn/page3.html

Any ideas what these are?

Great news group, I'm really enjoying reading the posts.

Thanks again

Old 03-05-2003, 02:20 AM
JimS.

Paul,

I have a copy of Ortho's "All About Roses". I'm certainly not the most
expert person on there, but it looks to me like it might be "Carefree
Wonder".

JimS.
Seattle

Old 03-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Shiva

On Fri, 2 May 2003 20:57:44 -0400, "Paul Reynolds"
wrote:

OOPS!!!
forgot link to flower;
http://home.mindspring.com/~pb.reynolds/_wsn/page3.html

Any ideas what these are?

hmm ...

Take a look here ;

http://helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=4449

Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Paul Reynolds

WOW, there they are!
I've been looking at rose pictures all day and didn't find these. I knew,
intellectually, but now I can see the difference in single and semi double
or double blooms.
I'm learning a lot, fast. Maybe this old retired Mech. Engineer turned
Custom Knifemaker has found something new to get into. :-)
Thank you all for the help and info, I'll just sit back and read/learn for a
while and if I have a question, I sure know where to ask. :-)

Paul n Bev

Old 03-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Unique Too

"Paul Reynolds" writes:

WOW, there they are!
I've been looking at rose pictures all day and didn't find these. I knew,
intellectually, but now I can see the difference in single and semi double
or double blooms.

When I checked your photos I see you already have a name, but just in case I
suggest you check out these photos:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=3671
http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/00908.htm
http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/lamarne.html
http://www.rkdn.org/roses/RIDB.asp?ID=91
http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/sglamarne.htm

Ummm?

Julie
Old 04-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Paul Reynolds

When I checked your photos I see you already have a name, but just in case
suggest you check out these photos:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=3671
http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/00908.htm
http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/lamarne.html
http://www.rkdn.org/roses/RIDB.asp?ID=91
http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/sglamarne.htm

Ummm?

Julie

These all appear to have lots more petals, (more than one layer), and the
text says they are nearly thorn-less which is definitely not the case with
my new bushes.
But thanks for the links to some great looking flowers. I hope with a little
TLC my bushes will look as healthy soon.

Thank you

Paul n Bev

Old 04-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Shiva

Paul Reynolds wrote:

WOW, there they are!

I thought this might be your rose. I see Nearly Wild everywhere, it is
apparently a tough rose. I like the look of it, for a single.

I've been looking at rose pictures all day and didn't find these. I knew,
intellectually, but now I can see the difference in single and semi
double or double blooms.

I can tell you like to learn about stuff. Me too.

I'm learning a lot, fast. Maybe this old retired Mech. Engineer turned
Custom Knifemaker has found something new to get into. :-)

I think maybe so! There are so many varieties, some with such neat
histories. There are people who are way beyond you and me, and have
learned a lot about the lineage of different roses.

For now, I am busy learning how to keep them alive and plant them so that
they look nice. I just learned the difference between "Contrast"
and "Clash" for example, and really, really need to get Lover's Lane out
of the same bed with Reine des Violettes. (I know, what was I thinking? No
clue!)

Thank you all for the help and info, I'll just sit back and read/learn
for a while and if I have a question, I sure know where to ask. :-)

Paul, you are more than welcome. There are so many people who read here
and post here and know so much more than I. And lots of new rosers, too.
You are a nice addition to the group, so I hope you keep sharing with us.

Paul n Bev

dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
A question about homemade insecticide for typical gardens harry long Gardening 1 17-06-2003 05:32 PM
OK, scratch dry insecticide, do you know what type of rose this is? Shiva Roses 0 03-05-2003 06:56 AM
Please recommend "good value for money" fungicide, fertilizer and insecticide Thomas Wong Orchids 1 28-02-2003 06:17 PM
Red spider systemic insecticide Carol Russell United Kingdom 10 26-12-2002 04:47 PM