Old 03-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Huskies4all

Default Great-Grandma's Rose has buds

"Lemmon's Immortal", I guess is the name I'll be using.

Imagine that. It's still only about a foot tall, and it has buds. None
of the other roses are even close to budding.

I think it's a rose that blooms on old wood, since the two new suckers do
not have blooms and show no evidence of getting them any time soon. The
blooms are all on new growth off the two old canes. They are in clusters
of 2 or three buds each.

I put up a couple of pics at
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a.../Roses&.view=t
If you click on the thumbnail, you'll get a bigger pic, and an even
bigger one if you click it again.

Gosh, this is exciting. I can't wait until they open.

CJ
Old 03-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Cass

Huskies4all wrote:

"Lemmon's Immortal", I guess is the name I'll be using.

Imagine that. It's still only about a foot tall, and it has buds. None
of the other roses are even close to budding.

I think it's a rose that blooms on old wood, since the two new suckers do
not have blooms and show no evidence of getting them any time soon. The
blooms are all on new growth off the two old canes. They are in clusters
of 2 or three buds each.

Basal canes, not suckers! This is the future you're calling a sucker
here. ;~) Believe me, you want lots. Suckers are undesireable.

I put up a couple of pics at
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a.../Roses&.view=t
If you click on the thumbnail, you'll get a bigger pic, and an even
bigger one if you click it again.

Gosh, this is exciting. I can't wait until they open.

Lemmon's Immortal looks very very healthy. This *is* exciting! That
foliage is certainly old rose-looking, with it's portland/damask
rounded shape and color. Hybrid perpetuals like Portland from Glendora
and Barbara Worl share that leave shape.

I put together a webpage for a rose that I ran into and wanted help
identifying. It's one idea of the factors that real experts use to
classify roses and deduce their genetic heritage from their physical
characteristics. Believe me, I'm no expert, but once you have these
details, there's one somewhere who knows your rose.

http://home.attbi.com/%7Ecassbernste...s/TamGlow.html

Don't forget to take some good pictures of those buds when they are
nice and fat but before they open. The shape and character of the buds
and sepals are a good clue, like the shape and character of the
prickles (thorns).

--
-=-
Cass
Old 03-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Huskies4all

In article ,
says...
Don't forget to take some good pictures of those buds when they are
nice and fat but before they open. The shape and character of the buds
and sepals are a good clue, like the shape and character of the
prickles (thorns).

Oh, sure. THAT comment sent me out in the rain to snap some pictures.
Now I'm going to be out there every 6 hours or so to make sure I don't
miss the optimal time to get a photo. :-)

Anyway, here are the ones I snapped today, they are the first two photos.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...src=ph&.view=t

Looks like the bud on the far left might be starting to show just a bit
of color between the (I think I'm looking at the right thing) sepals. At
least, what I assume are sepals. I am not yet sure of the parts of the
flower.

Gosh, this has turned into a real project. I really like your page on
the rose you want to identify. I am not sure of all the technical terms
that go along with mine, though. Maybe I'll try to put up a real webpage
instead of my yahoo album and that will be easier to deal with.

CJ
Old 03-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Unique Too

These two pages give names to parts of roses you never knew existed:

http://members.aol.com/mmmavocad3/RoseAnat1.html
http://members.aol.com/mmmavocad3/RoseAnat2.html

Julie

Huskies4all writes:

Looks like the bud on the far left might be starting to show just a bit
of color between the (I think I'm looking at the right thing) sepals. At
least, what I assume are sepals. I am not yet sure of the parts of the
flower.

Gosh, this has turned into a real project. I really like your page on
the rose you want to identify. I am not sure of all the technical terms
that go along with mine, though. Maybe I'll try to put up a real webpage
instead of my yahoo album and that will be easier to deal with.

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Looking EVERY BIT her age, Susan Lucci celebrates 61st birthday today; no "grandma" clause in effect Aisling Willow Grey Ponds 0 25-12-2007 06:27 PM
Grandma's orchid plants mikey Orchids 5 22-06-2004 10:03 PM
Need help with Grandma's cannas bud hufstetler Gardening 1 12-10-2003 12:22 AM