Old 26-02-2003, 05:27 AM
skim500

Default Don't know anything about roses; what are they worth?

Hello,

We have moved into a new home and the previous owner had quite a
collection of rose varieties (about 24 rose bushes). Each was
different (Lincoln, Chrysler, Bergman) were a few of the names. Each
is mature and leaves are appearing now. The previous owner had
meticulously cared and pruned them before leaving.

We are building a deck in the location of the roses. We hate to
destroy them so are going to put an ad in the Pennysaver. What would
be a fair price to ask for them? We know absolutely nothing about
roses.

Thank you, and sorry if this offends anyone.

skim
Old 26-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Dave Thompson

Where are you located?

I'm sure people will take them for the right price but why not just move
them? They'll survive pretty much anything you candish out.

om...

Old 26-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Snooze

It is unlikely you'll get much from them. Unless you have some rare and
desirable rose that someone in your area is after. Nurseries sell 1 gallon
roses for about $30 each at the upper end, most being sold for $10 or less.
At the most you'll get 200 assuming you sell all of them.

If you fancy roses, relocate them to a different part of the yard. It's not
a difficult task, find a location that gets plenty of sunlight, and is
viewable from the deck.

Sameer

Old 26-02-2003, 04:03 PM
dave weil

On 25 Feb 2003 20:20:27 -0800, (skim500) wrote:

Hello,

We have moved into a new home and the previous owner had quite a
collection of rose varieties (about 24 rose bushes). Each was
different (Lincoln, Chrysler, Bergman) were a few of the names. Each
is mature and leaves are appearing now. The previous owner had
meticulously cared and pruned them before leaving.

We are building a deck in the location of the roses. We hate to
destroy them so are going to put an ad in the Pennysaver. What would
be a fair price to ask for them? We know absolutely nothing about
roses.

Thank you, and sorry if this offends anyone.

skim

You really aren't going to get a lot for the plants. However, you
*could* donate them to your local rose society and they'll find good
homes for them (possibly sell them at a fundraiser or just find
someone to "adopt" them) *and* you could get a nice tax deduction for
them (you could probably claim a premium over normal retail prices
since they are mature). The advantage to this is that they'll send an
expert out to remove them properly for you and you won't have to do a
thing.

I also like the idea of relocating them, but you might not want to go
to that trouble. It sounds like it would be worth the trouble though,
since the previous owner took really good care of them. Many folks
would *die* to have healthy, well-tended rose bushes on their
property, *plus* it adds value to the home.
Old 26-02-2003, 05:03 PM
skim500

Thanks Dave and Sameer,

I appreciate your comments. We are located in Southern California. It
is possible we could move a couple of them, but not all of them. Our
yard is mostly steeply inclined or unusable, hence the reason for
building a deck.

Thank you for your kind advice.

skim

Old 27-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Scopata Fuori

"skim500" wrote in message
om...

We are building a deck in the location of the roses. We hate to
destroy them so are going to put an ad in the Pennysaver. What would
be a fair price to ask for them?

By the time someone loads their vehicle up with digging tools, containers
and so on, drives out there, and puts forth the effort to properly dig out a
hole big enough to completely remove the rose, they've put out enough to
simply buy one from the store or online, all ready to plant.

Better off to advertise them as FREE, first come first serve. Most papers
carry "giveaway" ads for free, so you won't have to pay for the ad this way.
If you didn't buy them anyway, as they were already there, you aren't going
to be out anything anyway. They aren't particularly "rare" or hard to find
varieties. The benefit to you, is that by giving them away, you'd at least
get them *removed* for free, rather than having to do it yourself or *paying
someone*.

Have you thought about digging them up, and putting the ones you can't move
directly into large containers, and putting them on your deck? They do
wonderfully in well drained containers, and will add beauty to your deck.

Scopata Fuori

Old 28-02-2003, 05:53 AM
Shiva

skim500 wrote:

Hello,

We are building a deck in the location of the roses. We hate to
destroy them so are going to put an ad in the Pennysaver. What would
be a fair price to ask for them? We know absolutely nothing about
roses.

Hey, Skim! I like the idea of plopping some of them in pots. Roses are
easier than you think. Pots cost maybe $15 at Home Depot. Plastic is best,
and leave out the tray underneath. Dig them out, plop them in the pots,
put them in full sun, keep them watered and well drained, and you might
have gorgeous roses for your deck or to cut for your table--all summer
long and into the fall and etc. All year if you are in some places. One
nice idea is to make a list of the names on all the tags and go find
pictures of the roses. Just do a google image search. Just keep the ones
you like. You know you like roses, Skim. Or, haven't you ever grown them?
Even if you toss them at the end of the season, the pots are worth a try.
The kind you have are gorgeous and some are really fragrant.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 AM
skim500

Thank you to everyone to for your wonderful suggestions. This is quite
a remarkable NG. The people who have called on our penneysaver ad did
not want to pay too much but were obviously rose lovers and affciandos
like yourselfs. We were happy to give them to good homes. Thanks,
perhaps our rose bush growing enthusiasm is on it's way!

skim

om...