GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/202743-climbing-rambling-rose-recommendation.html)

stitchandfold 22-03-2012 10:40 AM

Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation

1 Attachment(s)
We have a small arch in our garden, which currently has honeysuckle and a clematis growing up it. We were considering getting a rose to climb up it to, as we reckon that a strong stem would help secure the arch which is not very substantial. Would somebody be able to recommend a suitable rose? My guy likes red roses with a strong fragrance, and ideally we would choose a rose which is attractive to pollinating insects. The arch receives sun all day long and faces the south.

allen73 22-03-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchandfold (Post 953920)
We have a small arch in our garden, which currently has honeysuckle and a clematis growing up it. We were considering getting a rose to climb up it to, as we reckon that a strong stem would help secure the arch which is not very substantial. Would somebody be able to recommend a suitable rose? My guy likes red roses with a strong fragrance, and ideally we would choose a rose which is attractive to pollinating insects. The arch receives sun all day long and faces the south.

There are three basic types of climbing roses that you can choose from Rambling Roses, True Climbers and Trailers. Rambling climbing roses are perhaps the most impressive in terms of growth. Several varieties of rambling roses have extremely large blooms. True climbers are the perfect choice for any rose lover who is looking for a climbing rose that has extremely large blossoms. Trailing roses are an excellent choice in climbing roses because they are extremely resistant to the diseases that often compromise other varieties of climbing roses. For more info on rose flower gardening log on to Hydroponics, General Hydroponics, Hydroponic Nutrients & Supplies

stitchandfold 23-03-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen73 (Post 953922)
There are three basic types of climbing roses that you can choose from Rambling Roses, True Climbers and Trailers. Rambling climbing roses are perhaps the most impressive in terms of growth. Several varieties of rambling roses have extremely large blooms. True climbers are the perfect choice for any rose lover who is looking for a climbing rose that has extremely large blossoms. Trailing roses are an excellent choice in climbing roses because they are extremely resistant to the diseases that often compromise other varieties of climbing roses.

Thanks for your information. We were thinking of rose Guinée (climbing hybrid tea) or rose Etoile de Hollande (also a climbing hybrid tea) but worried that they might overpower our little arch with the height.