Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Default Is my rose dead?

hello all

Could anyone tell me if my rose is dead? Its a bush rose, approx 4ft high x 3ft, I moved it in the winter, digging it up and raising it up a foot (the height of the flowerbed was raised), since when: nada! The branches are a healthy green (mostly), there are little buds on it, but none of them are getting any bigger, and there's no leaves in sight. I'm in Gloucestershire, all my other roses are rampaging ahead - I'm wondering if this one is doing lots of rootmaking or is it just dying? And is it worth giving it a severe prune right now or may that upset it even more?

Thanks in advance

Jolimont
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

It may be growing roots. Since the leaves haven't appeared, I would
cut the bush back now. Leave just one or two buds on the stems you
want to keep and clear out the rest.

When you move an established bush, you will damage the roots. This
leaves more bush that the remaining roots can support, and part of the
bush will die back. Pruning now will all you to control what stays
and what goes.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
It may be growing roots. Since the leaves haven't appeared, I would
cut the bush back now. Leave just one or two buds on the stems you
want to keep and clear out the rest.

When you move an established bush, you will damage the roots. This
leaves more bush that the remaining roots can support, and part of the
bush will die back. Pruning now will all you to control what stays
and what goes.
thanks fran!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User

Location: California

wrote:

hello all

Could anyone tell me if my rose is dead? Its a bush rose, approx 4ft
high x 3ft, I moved it in the winter, digging it up and raising it up a
foot (the height of the flowerbed was raised), since when: nada! The
branches are a healthy green (mostly), there are little buds on it, but
none of them are getting any bigger, and there's no leaves in sight.
I'm in Gloucestershire, all my other roses are rampaging ahead - I'm
wondering if this one is doing lots of rootmaking or is it just dying?
And is it worth giving it a severe prune right now or may that upset it
even more?

Thanks in advance

Jolimont
Cut into one of the stems and see if the inside of it is green. If it is, your rose bush is alive. If it's not, then it's likely your rose bush is dead, or perhaps not blossoming this year because of the inconsistent weather. I would call a greenhouse or nursery in your area to see if they could give you any advice.
Fruit Trees