Old 20-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Location: UK
Default Rosa Europeana

I am pretty well a novice when it comes to roses, but I am keen on becoming more expert in roses.
Back in March I bought a smallrose bush about 2 foot in height , at my local flower stand, it is labelled a Rosa Europeana. It is growing great and now taller than I am, it must be beginners luck that It seems happy in the spot I planted it. What has become apparent though, is that it has beautiful yellow roses blooming and now there are two dark crimson red rose buds opening up. It is possible that the yellow roses were grafted onto the 'mother' plant is it were?

Anyway, I think I got a good bargain for a fiver.
Old 22-06-2012, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

You definately have a grafted plant. What you have to watch out for
is that the mother plant will take over, given the half of a chance.
Here's a link on the Rosa Europeana
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c.../europeana.htm

From the looks of it, you have a mis-labelled rose. I say that
because wild roses tend to be red, and you say the main flowers are
yellow. Here's a video of how to remove sucker growth from roses,
which is what I think the red flowers are likely to be from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVIlLgfTWg

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:35:12 +0000, Pearls
wrote:

I am pretty well a novice when it comes to roses, but I am keen on
becoming more expert in roses.
Back in March I bought a smallrose bush about 2 foot in height , at my
local flower stand, it is labelled a Rosa Europeana. It is growing
great and now taller than I am, it must be beginners luck that It seems
happy in the spot I planted it. What has become apparent though, is
that it has beautiful yellow roses blooming and now there are two dark
crimson red rose buds opening up. It is possible that the yellow roses
were grafted onto the 'mother' plant is it were?

Anyway, I think I got a good bargain for a fiver.

Rosa "Alister Stella Gray" cross United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 10:56 PM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Deadhead Rosa "Old Blush"? Steve Roses 2 19-04-2003 10:56 PM
Killa Bluma Rosa Primula! lms Roses 0 06-04-2003 04:56 PM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 04:44 AM