GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Consuming rose hips seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/20441-consuming-rose-hips-seeds.html)

Jerome Morrow 04-05-2003 03:56 PM

Consuming rose hips seeds

Hello,

I harvested my rose hips - they are around the twice of the size of a pea
and red. I'm just wondering whether I could cut it up and swallow it
together with the seeds?

Can the seeds be consumed as well or do they have a nasty side effect?

Cass 05-05-2003 06:32 AM

Consuming rose hips seeds

In article , Jerome
Morrow wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the pith? Is it it remains of the flower?

I don't know its purpose, but when you cut a rose hip in half, you'll
be looking at 3 things: the seeds; the shell (the outer edible part);
and hairy fibrous stuff that surrounds the seeds.

Cass 05-05-2003 10:20 AM

Consuming rose hips seeds

Ed Lucarini offered helpfully:
a helmet used for hunting big game.

With vinegar

"Jerome Morrow"
Pardon my ignorance but what is the pith? Is it it remains of the flower?

Shiva 06-05-2003 10:32 PM

Consuming rose hips seeds

On Sun, 04 May 2003 22:24:37 -0700, Cass
wrote:

Ed Lucarini offered helpfully:
a helmet used for hunting big game.

With vinegar

Oh, please! It's a verb. As in, "Nothing pithes me off like a bad
punthter." Or a good one, for that matter.

"Jerome Morrow"
Pardon my ignorance but what is the pith? Is it it remains of the flower?

dave weil 07-05-2003 05:56 PM

Consuming rose hips seeds

On Sun, 04 May 2003 22:22:36 -0700, Cass
wrote:

In article , Jerome
Morrow wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the pith? Is it the remains of the flower?

I don't know its purpose, but when you cut a rose hip in half, you'll
be looking at 3 things: the seeds; the shell (the outer edible part);
and hairy fibrous stuff that surrounds the seeds.

Here's a question:

What in the heck is *this*?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/WeirdGrowth.jpg

Notice that it's growing straight out of a Sweet Briar Rose stem (you
can see the short stem on the right). When this thing forms hips, it
looks *nothing* like this. Is this an alien life form or maybe some
sort of rose cancer? Or is this Invasion of the Rose Snatchers? Should
I be watching for pods in my bedroom?

Can anyone offer a pithy reply?

Cass 08-05-2003 01:44 AM

Consuming rose hips seeds

In article , dave weil
wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2003 22:22:36 -0700, Cass
wrote:

In article , Jerome
Morrow wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the pith? Is it the remains of the flower?

I don't know its purpose, but when you cut a rose hip in half, you'll
be looking at 3 things: the seeds; the shell (the outer edible part);
and hairy fibrous stuff that surrounds the seeds.

Here's a question:

What in the heck is *this*?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/WeirdGrowth.jpg

Can anyone offer a pithy reply?

CIA implant. Strike that. Department of Homeland Security implant.

That is reasonably creepy. I'd cut it off and flush it (and send the
DHS mole after it).