Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered User

Default Windy rose bed

My rosebed is in it's second summer and I have a selection of hybrid teas and floribundas. My problem is that although we have a walled in garden we still experience strong wind and my poor roses have been battered this year with stems snapping and others being blown over. Can I stake them and if so what is the best way?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlisa View Post
My rosebed is in it's second summer and I have a selection of hybrid teas and floribundas. My problem is that although we have a walled in garden we still experience strong wind and my poor roses have been battered this year with stems snapping and others being blown over. Can I stake them and if so what is the best way?
Build up a wire cage around the rose plant. Set up wind screens and wind protectros prior to a wind storm is the best prevention. You can even add clean straw around the plant inside the covered wire cage.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 13-10-2012, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

If blown over, it may because they were top-heavy. You can try to
replant, but you really have to cut them back, as the roots have been
damaged. I've lost a few that way. I staked mine with very heavy
iron rods until the roots were established.

I've pruned mine heavily in the winter ever since, as we get strong
storms in the spring.

Old 21-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlisa View Post
My rosebed is in it's second summer and I have a selection of hybrid teas and floribundas. My problem is that although we have a walled in garden we still experience strong wind and my poor roses have been battered this year with stems snapping and others being blown over. Can I stake them and if so what is the best way?

you may use green colored curtain for protecting the roses from the blowing wind..

collegefootballwinning.com