Old 05-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Sheepkeeper

Default Thorny sugestions

We are looking for the thorniest climber possible to discourage skateboard
toting teenagers from jumping our fence and taking a shortcut to the arcade.
Any suggestions for the central California coast? You can see us at
www.springlakespark.com

Old 05-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Rosa Rosam

I agree with Allegra : Mermaid.
Nice hooked thorns.
I had a thorn for a couple of days in my arm, quite deep, before I finally
remove, using my "home surgery"... ...skills.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
J. Del Col

"Sheepkeeper" wrote in message . ..
We are looking for the thorniest climber possible to discourage skateboard
toting teenagers from jumping our fence and taking a shortcut to the arcade.
Any suggestions for the central California coast? You can see us at
www.springlakespark.com

Try Seafoam--lots of sturdy,absolutely vicious thorns, vigorous
growth, abundant,sweet scented flowers. It isn't a climber, but it
gets big enough.

Unless they are wearing full body armor, the skateboarders won't mess
with
Seafoam more than once.

I grow rugosas, some of the thorniest roses around, but they are no
match for Seafoam in terms of sheer painful nastiness.

J. Del Col
Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Cass

In article , J. Del Col
wrote:

"Sheepkeeper" wrote in message
. ..
We are looking for the thorniest climber possible to discourage skateboard
toting teenagers from jumping our fence and taking a shortcut to the arcade.
Any suggestions for the central California coast? You can see us at
www.springlakespark.com

Try Seafoam--lots of sturdy,absolutely vicious thorns, vigorous
growth, abundant,sweet scented flowers. It isn't a climber, but it
gets big enough.

Unless they are wearing full body armor, the skateboarders won't mess
with
Seafoam more than once.

I grow rugosas, some of the thorniest roses around, but they are no
match for Seafoam in terms of sheer painful nastiness.

I'll match you a Sea Foam and raise you a Silver Moon. Or Fortune's
Double Yellow:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...sFuchsiaScimit
ars.jpg

I vote for Phyllis Bide - plenty prickly. She is repeat flowering,
grows quickly on her own roots, and gets very big:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...isB28May02.jpg

Old 06-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:

I'll match you a Sea Foam and raise you a Silver Moon. Or Fortune's
Double Yellow:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...sFuchsiaScimit
ars.jpg

I vote for Phyllis Bide - plenty prickly. She is repeat flowering,
grows quickly on her own roots, and gets very big:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...isB28May02.jpg

Oh my goodness. Gorgeous pictures, Cass. Fuchsia Scimitars indeed. And
the floriferousness of PB is breathtaking, simply put.

Very nice images to dream about ...

--
Radika
California

Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 PM
J. Del Col

Cass wrote in message . ..
In article , J. Del Col
wrote:

[...]

A skateboarder who lands in a patch of any of these roses is going to
be one hurtin' slacker.

J. Del Col

Lawn flowers & biodiversity sugestions please Peat Lawns 0 11-10-2008 08:33 PM
Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub Doug Kanter Gardening 54 04-12-2004 12:01 AM
A thorny problem Peter and Susan Australia 11 19-07-2004 10:12 PM
Thorny shrubs sw United Kingdom 19 17-05-2003 11:56 AM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 03:36 PM