Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 PM
jammer

Default Cross pollination?

Hi again..

I have 3 different kinds of rose bushes. Sorry, Oklahoma is the only
name i remember. I thought one was a Tropicana? Anyway, they started
out peach, dull pink, and red. Now they are about 6 shades. Thank
Goodness the bush retains it's original scent as they are all
different. And the color change doesn't annoy me, especially since i
have a brilliant deep pink one for the first time this week, but i am
just curious, is this the work of the bees and butterflies?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
R & L Porter

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
Hi again..

I have 3 different kinds of rose bushes. Sorry, Oklahoma is the only
name i remember. I thought one was a Tropicana? Anyway, they started
out peach, dull pink, and red. Now they are about 6 shades. Thank
Goodness the bush retains it's original scent as they are all
different. And the color change doesn't annoy me, especially since i
have a brilliant deep pink one for the first time this week, but i am
just curious, is this the work of the bees and butterflies?

Hi,
I'm not sure that I completely understand your question. Are you saying
that all 3 rose bushes are each displaying 6 different shades, or one in
particular? There are roses that change colour, so to speak, as the bloom
ages. Some start off purple and fade to gray, some start off pristine white
and age to blush before the petals fall, and every variation in between!
Some
roses are multi-coloured to begin with, and show several different colours
on
one bloom all at the same time. And rose colouration will also vary with
the
soil, the heat, the cold, the amount of sun, etc.. A rose that is hot pink
in
my garden might be closer to blush in a much hotter climate. You get the
idea.

Laura

Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
jammer

On Mon, 05 May 2003 17:21:10 GMT, "R & L Porter"
wrote:

I'm not sure that I completely understand your question

I planted a dull pink flowering bush, a red one, and a peach one.
After several years, the colors are all mixed up on the bushes. The
pink one has red and pink flowers, the pink one has red and pink, etc

Old 06-05-2003, 05:32 PM
R & L Porter

wrote:

I'm not sure that I completely understand your question

I planted a dull pink flowering bush, a red one, and a peach one.
After several years, the colors are all mixed up on the bushes. The
pink one has red and pink flowers, the pink one has red and pink, etc

Aaah, now I see. Not my area of expertise, cross-pollination, etc. so
I will bow out. I do know that some roses will revert back, eg.
a sport like Rosa Mundi (striped rose) may revert back to
the origianl plant (R. gallica officinalis) and vice versa. Sorry
to not be of much help. Maybe someone wiser will chime in. Or
you could visit www.ars.org -- the American rose society web
page.

Laura

Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
FOW

Some roses will revert back to one of the original strains. But all 3 of
your roses, at the same time? 1, maybe but not all of them. My roses are a
LITTLE different color every year. The rain will do weird things to rose
colors, spots and green colors .

Old 07-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Jerome Morrow

Same thing happened to one of my iceburg roses. Its next to several red
roses including a Mr Lincoln and now it has red spots all over the flowers.

I think that its partly due to the weak nature of the particular plant.
Another iceburg in the same bed, which is stronger, is not affected.

Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Theo Asir

You have botyritis.
Time to spray.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 07-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Cass

In article , Jerome
Morrow wrote:

Same thing happened to one of my iceburg roses. Its next to several red
roses including a Mr Lincoln and now it has red spots all over the flowers.

No cross pollinization there. Like Theo said, that is a fungus, and a
bad one. Remove all blooms showing those spots and throw them in the
trash. Clean up all petals on the ground. Botrytis is very bad this
year, theories ranging from resistant strains to weather conditions
offered as explanation.

http://members.tripod.com/sactorose/ipm/83botrytis.html
Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 PM
J. Del Col

jammer j@mmer wrote in message . ..
Hi again..

I have 3 different kinds of rose bushes. Sorry, Oklahoma is the only
name i remember. I thought one was a Tropicana? Anyway, they started
out peach, dull pink, and red. Now they are about 6 shades. Thank
Goodness the bush retains it's original scent as they are all
different. And the color change doesn't annoy me, especially since i
have a brilliant deep pink one for the first time this week, but i am
just curious, is this the work of the bees and butterflies?

Cross pollination has nothing to do with it. It would only affect the
color of the plants grown from the seeds of the pollinated flower, not
the flower itself.

Some roses will produce "sports"i.e. different colored flowers on the
same
bush; these are either reversions or mutations caused by the unstable
genetic makeup of complex hybrids. They are not the result of cross
pollination.

As others have pointed out, growing conditions can also affect flower
color.

J. Del Col
Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Jerome Morrow

Oh no!!!! I saw the pictures and I do have a fungus!! Whats the best spray
to use?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
FOW

I have 30 roses in a bed 10 ft x 20 ft . Most are 3-4 ft apart. They were .
NOW they all touch each other, I sometimes look at them and all I see is one
BIG rose . I over fertilized this year.
I have never in 7 years of growing them seen cross pollination.
Most of them are Hybrid Teas, the rest Floribundas, 2 are grandys.
I guess I have all strong strains.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
FOW

I have seen rain cause colored spots on my roses. No fungus here.
Just bugs.
"Theo Asir" wrote in message
You have botyritis.
Time to spray.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Theo Asir

Sorry I don't understand.
Water by itself does not
cause any damage.

It promotes growth of Fungii.
The fungii cause discoloration.

Check out Cass's link.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 PM
FOW

If you see my roses, they have NO botrytis.Or powdery mildew or downy
mildew. Some of them are getting spotted from rain. Seen it happen for 7
years to them. Some just rot on the stem, Brides Maid especially. Not
enough heat to make all my roses pop.
Seems like some of my roses have a very high petal count, Very dense buds,
They just don't open until the 2nd or 3rd bloom cycle.