GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New Rose Garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/206337-new-rose-garden.html)

[email protected] 05-02-2013 05:24 PM

New Rose Garden

Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.
What is new with any of you?

MJ

fran 09-02-2013 01:57 PM

New Rose Garden

If the deer are hungry enough, they will eat anything. 8 foot deer
fence is your best bet, as they can jump over anything lower.

[email protected] 10-02-2013 03:52 PM

New Rose Garden

wrote:

Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.

What is new with any of you?

MJ

one electric wire will do the trick

allen73 11-02-2013 10:15 AM

Raised garden make easier for a deer to access, fortunately, there are lot of ways to keep the deep away from your garden. Shave a bar of soap and spread the shavings around your garden. You can even plant marigold and lamb's ear in your raised garden. These two plants will keep deer away from your raised bed.

thomaspoul 05-03-2013 07:11 AM

This is same happened with me

Eric H. 26-03-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen73 (Post 978029)
RYou can even plant marigold and lamb's ear in your raised garden. These two plants will keep deer away from your raised bed.

Thanks for the tip, but I wonder why that will keep deer away? Can't they take the specific smell of the plants or what's the secret? Some more information on that would be very much appreciated :)

[email protected] 29-03-2013 12:28 PM

New Rose Garden

--

Eric H.

Nothing is going to keep deer away except an electric fence.

thomaspoul 09-05-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 977797)
Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.
What is new with any of you?

MJ

recently i have also plant some rose plants...let's see new with them.