Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered User

Default Rambling rose - summer pruning?

Hello

Last year I planted some rambling roses that I'm training to grow up a trellis and over the front of my house. They've taken really well, but are throwing out a lot of vertical shoots that are leaning off the trellis and sticking out of the front of the house by quite a way. I don't want to tie them in, as there's already a lot of growth and I don't want the 'branches' to rub against each other.

Is there any harm in cutting these back at this time of year? If they're already a little enthusiastic I dread to think what they'll be like by the end of the summer!

Any advice appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

--

boogaloo

As long as you have plenty of summer ahead of you there should be no problem cutting it back now.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Thank you!!
Old 31-07-2013, 10:27 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
Hello

Last year I planted some rambling roses that I'm training to grow up a trellis and over the front of my house. They've taken really well, but are throwing out a lot of vertical shoots that are leaning off the trellis and sticking out of the front of the house by quite a way. I don't want to tie them in, as there's already a lot of growth and I don't want the 'branches' to rub against each other.

Is there any harm in cutting these back at this time of year? If they're already a little enthusiastic I dread to think what they'll be like by the end of the summer!

Any advice appreciated.

Can you please post the pic.
Old 31-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Hello

I would avoid pruning back now

Rambling roses can flower right up to late November

If you cut it back now ou will loose all those potential flowers

I would only cut back what is most essential and train the rest with a strong garden wire

Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation stitchandfold Roses 2 23-03-2012 11:44 AM
Rambling rose Phil[_4_] United Kingdom 7 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Rambling rose suggestions MikeCT United Kingdom 7 27-11-2006 06:14 PM
Rambling rose Tom Warner United Kingdom 7 27-05-2003 06:08 PM
Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ? Pip United Kingdom 5 12-04-2003 10:08 PM