GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   standard roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/209134-standard-roses.html)

derick 08-02-2014 11:10 AM

standard roses

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums so hello all. I would like to have a couple of standard roses in pots and I wondered if this I OK. They would be in a sheltered spot on a patio so not too much wind to batter them around.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

kris anthem um 13-02-2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derick (Post 998364)
Hi everyone I'm new to the forums so hello all. I would like to have a couple of standard roses in pots and I wondered if this I OK. They would be in a sheltered spot on a patio so not too much wind to batter them around.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Hi. Where are you? Is your patio position in full shade? Roses need lots of sun, especially if you want a compact standard. Use top quality potting mix and mulch the surface of your pot. Ask your local rose supplier about varieties that are proven in your area and suitable for standards. cheers.

fran 15-02-2014 03:20 PM

standard roses

Roses need at least 6 hours of direct sun a day. If you are going to
put them in pots, I suggest you start with a pot ~4" in diameter
larger than the pot they come in and then increase the pot size each
year until you get to the size you want. After that you will have to
either feed them a lot (they can be heavy feeders, depending on the
type) or replace the top couple of inches of soil each year.

If you are in an area that has problems with black spot or powdery
mildew, make sure you get roses that are very resistant to those. Here
in western North Carolina, I have given up on all types of roses
except the Knockout varieties.

LaUran 26-06-2014 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by derick (Post 998364)
Hi everyone I'm new to the forums so hello all. I would like to have a couple of standard roses in pots and I wondered if this I OK. They would be in a sheltered spot on a patio so not too much wind to batter them around.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I have a standard in a pot, I had another in the ground. The one in the ground did better even though it suffered a dead branch over winter. I bought it from David Austin and they replaced it free of charge. The new one (potted) is very slow, no roses yet.

In pots there is less root anchoring, maybe thats why my potted one is slow. Image is the planted rose.

HTH

J9anglica 11-10-2014 06:22 PM

Hey Derick
I know I'm posting here after a long time, according to your post, but I want to know that my roses patio position in full shade, & my roses are in front of Sun, but their growth wasn't be OK for me. How much of they need Sun & water in a day??

aquamarin 01-02-2024 10:03 PM

Roses are one of the easiest plants to take care of. They just need good soil, sun and water. We have a lot of roses at my parent’s house. Okay, sometimes you have to cut them, but that’s once a year, so it’s not a big deal.