Old 23-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Heidi Stump

Default red spots on JFK

Hi all,

I am new to this newsgroup...and to growing roses!
My husband and I
recently adopted 2 JFK HT's from a quality local
nursery. We planted
them, in a nice bed w/ hummus, good dirt, oscal,
etc... After a week in
their new home our rose buds are opening with red
spots on the petals.
Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this due to
the record amount of
rain we have received in NC, or a lack/excess of
nutrients? Is this
indicative of disease or pests?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Sincerely,
Heidi
Raleigh, NC

Old 23-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Anne Lurie

Welcome to the newsgroup (RGR), Heidi!

I have no advice to offer you, but I know that several posters to this
newsgroup are in the Triangle area also.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC (the sandy NE side!)

Old 24-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Henry

Heidi Stump wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to this newsgroup...and to growing roses! My husband and I
recently adopted 2 JFK HT's from a quality local nursery. We planted
them, in a nice bed w/ hummus, good dirt, oscal, etc... After a week in
their new home our rose buds are opening with red spots on the petals.
Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this due to the record amount of
rain we have received in NC, or a lack/excess of nutrients? Is this
indicative of disease or pests?

It's been particularly bad this year for those of us on the east coast
and yes, the rain plays a big part. The spots are caused by a fungus
called botrytis cinerea. You should remove the infected portions of the
plant and destroy them. Application of fungicide will help prevent
further attacks but will do nothing for already-damaged tissue.

I take heart from the fact that these two pictures were taken at the
rose garden at the National Arboretum this spring. If they have
botrytis, I don't feel so bad that I do, too.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/...l/img_2310.jpg
http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/...l/img_2312.jpg

--
Henry

Old 24-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Heidi Stump

Thanks Henry and Anne!

Henry, you were right. The roses in the picture look just like my roses.
Thanks for the identification and the advice!

Anne, thanks for the link to the local newsgroup, I've subscribed already.

Happy Gardening,
Heidi

Old 25-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Anne Lurie

Aha!

Thanks to the links that Henry posted, I see now that I was ahead of the
game, so to speak, when I cut off the flowers from my incredibly lanky
mystery rose (okay, my *other* mystery rose!) -- the flowers seemed
nondescript anyway, not-quite-white nor any noticeable color ("subtle" would
be incredibly generous, IMHO).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 18-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Stump View Post
Hi all,

I am new to this newsgroup...and to growing roses!
My husband and I
recently adopted 2 JFK HT's from a quality local
nursery. We planted
them, in a nice bed w/ hummus, good dirt, oscal,
etc... After a week in
their new home our rose buds are opening with red
spots on the petals.
Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this due to
the record amount of
rain we have received in NC, or a lack/excess of
nutrients? Is this
indicative of disease or pests?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Sincerely,
Heidi
Raleigh, NC

I've had numerous plants turn red from about May thru to winter 2013 including my JFK white rose. (I've grown JFKs for years in different climate zones and no problems I couldn't fix.) 2013s plants turning red were in my yard, garden, fruit trees, but many more examples were found and photographed by me out in the fields. Some had spots of fuchsia red and others had leaves go red at the edges then progress inward and die. After 20 years in this rural, agricultural area I've never seen this before nor have I found anyone else who has. Trees are also dying and just fall over eventually. Another large tree fell in January and it's heartbreaking to me. (I'm in Ellensburg, WA USA)

I'm convinced it is being caused by chemical materials used in the ongoing Stratospheric Aerosol Geoengineering (SAG) programs. I recently read there are aproximately 60 known SAG projects currently in progress, maybe more, carried out by many NATO nations' governments via the military.
Primarily utilizing USAF aircraft and pilots, here in the US. I don't yet know which chemical could be responsible for the reddish-pink leaves and spots. But they're appearing on numerous plants, including weeds, a little at a time. Even the grass that grows under the water in our creeks is now pink.

Millions of people have become aware of SAG around the earth. Millions more are unaware. The activity is 'geoengineering' and is a global endeavor. One document from the USAF is called "Weather as a force multiplier, Owning the weather in 2025" and outlines the purposes behind this huge plan. You can find it in pdf format online. (I've found documents from UK and Canada as well showing SAG to be a multilateral activity.) Among other things this has caused a general lack of sufficient sunlight affecting vegetable gardens like mine. Watching the failure of my good gardens is what drove me to search for answers which is how I discovered Geoengineering. Not something I could fix.
I never wanted to know what I do now, just wanted to work in my garden and get old and die peacefully among the tomatoes and cucumbers....

I've attached a link to my Facebook album of photos of the red leaf phenomenon. Also shown is one chunk of firewood from a dead tree with red striations in the growth rings.
The FB Album called "SUMMER 2013, weird color plants."
It's a "Public Album" but you may have to register on Face Book to browse there anyway. I don't know. My FB user name is Running Wolf if the link fails for you, you can go to my page, then into photos, then albums, and find these red leaf photos.
"SUMMER 2013, weird color plants"

https://www.facebook.com/Flidhais/me...7559807&type=3