Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Henry

Default Species Roses

Cass wrote:
R & L Porter wrote:

I would recommend
Rosa Glauca (R. rubrifolia).

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=10650

I really like that rose. Goes on the list.

I saw it a lot in England and decided then that I wanted one. While I
wouldn't call the flowers showy, they are quite pretty, if a bit
fleeting. The color of the leaves goes well with the greener greens in
a border. Some days it looks more red/purple than others. We've got
ours in the back of a border with blue, purple, and white flowering
perennials in front which I think looks nice.

Pictures from this morning here (along with the rugosas just starting to
bloom):

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 04:08 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article dd2ff134947faa670aeffe20dcf2dcd8@TeraNews,
says...

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Rosa Soulieana (my favorite species at the
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden)

Yea verily. Mine covers 20 feet of fence and that's with being chopped
back every two or three years.

It is also unfortunately only hardy to Z6-7

Strange. I'm in zone 5 (Spokane WA) and mine has been thriving for about
12 years now. And we've had some pretty horrific winters here that have
killed some other roses (like Dortmund).

Strange, this is the first hardiness complaint I've ever heard about this
rose, I consider it nails. It's from Kordes of Germany, who's known for
tough roses not least of all. It's not rare for it to get below zero here but
single digits are regular as the wind and the dust which hits Oklahoma ten
hours after it blows through here.
Dortmund would today be a lot bigger if I had ten years ago allowed it to have
its every little way-- the thing is, I need to walk out there and it would
throw these twelve footers every damn way sideways. There is only one rule for
the 5-rose mountain of Nevada, Austrian Copper, Carefree Wonder, Raz Ice and
Dortmund and that is, there is no blocking the path. I'm the one with the
metal blades.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic

a line used by one of the Daisy Chicks to Diane Sawyer. idiots should just
leave the Daisies alone. If Teddy Roosevelt weren't the great white hunter
who liked to shoot any innocent defenseless African creature that moved, I
might today think highly of him. but those are the actions of just another rich
prick and it regrettably overshadows any good thing I might have to think
about im.