Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 PM

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Cass

Default Species Roses

In article 00e8cfb0af891c031b20a6028b4fa274@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

Friend of mine lives out in the country in a well wooded Hilly
Scrubland. Zone 5.

She would love to have some large roses. Once bloomers are fine.
She's not particularly good @ watering or maintenance but we get
at least 50 inches of rain every year.

I have so far recommended R. Mulliganii R. Rugosa Alba & Rubra R.
Brunonii 'La Mortola'

She would love tree eating varieties.

I know Mortola is probably iffy but its worth a shot.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Someone will have to grow these up to at least 5 gallon for her. I
don't see how they would ever establish without watering in the summer
until they get to be a reasonable size.

Chevy Chase (forms a huge shrub here, easy to start in the fall)
Darlow's Enigma (Very unusual plant, species-hybrid looking, growing
like a weed) Kiftsgate Canary Bird (it's yellow) Rosa Setigera (gotta
have it - isn't it native?) Rosa Soulieana (my favorite species at the
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden)
Old 08-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

wrote:

Friend of mine lives out in the country in a well wooded Hilly
Scrubland. Zone 5.

She would love to have some large roses. Once bloomers are fine.
She's not particularly good @ watering or maintenance but we get
at least 50 inches of rain every year.

I have so far recommended R. Mulliganii R. Rugosa Alba & Rubra R.
Brunonii 'La Mortola'

She would love tree eating varieties.

I know Mortola is probably iffy but its worth a shot.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Someone will have to grow these up to at least 5 gallon for her. I
don't see how they would ever establish without watering in the summer
until they get to be a reasonable size.

Chevy Chase (forms a huge shrub here, easy to start in the fall)

Is this a fend for itself shrub?

Darlow's Enigma (Very unusual plant, species-hybrid looking, growing
like a weed)

not quite tree eater.
Do you know if its patented?
I could root a cutting.

Kiftsgate

tender

Canary Bird (it's yellow)

Z6 & too thorny?

Rosa Setigera (gotta

Possible.

Old 08-05-2003, 06:08 PM
R & L Porter

"Theo Asir" wrote in message
Friend of mine lives out
in the country in a well wooded
Hilly Scrubland. Zone 5.

She would love to have some
large roses. Once bloomers are fine.
She's not particularly good @ watering
or maintenance but we get atleast
50 inches of rain every year.

Theo, by large roses I am assuming you mean
roses that get large as a plant, not large blooms.
With this in mind, and the low to zero maintenance
requirement, AND the zone I would recommend
Rosa Glauca (R. rubrifolia). Single pink flowers
with alarmingly charming golden centers. Beautiful
purplish red canes. Very tough and hardy. The
foliage is also a striking purple/red colour. A really
lovely contrast. I have this one, however it is
only on its second year, so I can't make any promises
as to eventual size. But I will say that up here, and
you know that our winters are long and tough, albeit
with lots of snow cover, it suffered absolutely no winter-
kill this year. It is still a baby, but I have high hopes.
Books promise up to 14 feet, but I am going to
be a pessimist and say 6-9 feet in my climate. But
we shall see.

Remember that this is a once-bloomer, but I think the
colour of the canes and leaves are beautiful in and of
themselves. But then again, I am a desperado when it
comes to roses!
Here's a short-cut to Clara's site that might be
helpful:
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=10650

Another species rose that I am growing is Rosa Hugonis
otherwise known as Father Hugo's Rose. It is a
yellow and fern-like in its growth. What can I say, that
is what first comes to mind.
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=2717

The only other species
that I have is R. Cantabrig... something or other. Don't
know the correct spelling at this moment. Similar to
Father Hugo. Both are also still babies, but there is
little to report aside from hardiness. As you can tell,
right now R. Rubrifolia is my favourite, but the other
two did come highly recommended by experienced
rosarians in a similar cold climate.

Laura

Old 08-05-2003, 07:32 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 08 May 2003 14:06:11 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You guys *knew* that I had to throw in my favorite (and only) species
rose, R. eglanteria (Sweet Briar).

Here's the link of my photo gallery again. You'll find pics starting
at number 47 - just use the drop down menu. 47 is the first bloom of
this season, on or about 4.21. It's still loaded with blooms, so I
figure that it's good for a good month of blooming from start to
finish. The last shot, number 52, shows it approximately the same time
in May last year (its second season). The size? About 3 1/2 feet by 7
ft.

Yes, it's a once bloomer and it's *very* thorny. Makes a great hedge.
As you can see, it's a fast grower as well...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.htm

Here are two shots from today.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...riar5.8.03.jpg

This angle shows a width of 16 feet. Height is about 6 1/2 feet.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...iar5.8.03a.jpg

This angle shows a width of 10 feet. As you can tell, it's sort of
oblong, with the wide side growing due east facing the sun directly.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
dave weil

You guys *knew* that I had to throw in my favorite (and only) species
rose, R. eglanteria (Sweet Briar).

Here's the link of my photo gallery again. You'll find pics starting
at number 47 - just use the drop down menu. 47 is the first bloom of
this season, on or about 4.21. It's still loaded with blooms, so I
figure that it's good for a good month of blooming from start to
finish. The last shot, number 52, shows it approximately the same time
in May last year (its second season). The size? About 3 1/2 feet by 7
ft.

Yes, it's a once bloomer and it's *very* thorny. Makes a great hedge.
As you can see, it's a fast grower as well...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.htm

I should say that I don't have all of my index pages up on the web
site. Therefore you can't just use the arrow to navigate. Just click
the first image and you'll get a drop down menu with each of the
images listed. Then you can go directly to the indicated images. Once
you're in an image, you *can* use the arrows.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:31 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 08 May 2003 12:58:56 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

[...]

Here's a better link, I think:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Dave's%20Gardens.htm

Old 09-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Cass

Theo Asir wrote:
"Cass" wrote

Chevy Chase (forms a huge shrub here, easy to start in the fall)

Is this a fend for itself shrub?

Yes, but it will turn into a thicket. 15 ft. canes are the norm, about
15 per year.

Darlow's Enigma (Very unusual plant, species-hybrid looking,
growing like a weed)

not quite tree eater. Do you know if its patented? I could root a
cutting.

It's a found rose, not patented. Sequoia sells it cheap. Don't know how
early you'd need to buy it to get it ready for winter. Beautiful
foliage, darkest possible narrow green, reminds me of rubrifolia. You
need it, so get 2.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Cass

dave weil wrote:

You guys *knew* that I had to throw in my favorite (and only) species
rose, R. eglanteria (Sweet Briar).

Here are two shots from today.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...riar5.8.03.jpg

This angle shows a width of 16 feet. Height is about 6 1/2 feet.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...iar5.8.03a.jpg

This angle shows a width of 10 feet. As you can tell, it's sort of
oblong, with the wide side growing due east facing the sun directly.

Nice shots, Dave. Great plant, love the scent of the leaves.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Cass

R & L Porter wrote:

I would recommend
Rosa Glauca (R. rubrifolia).

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=10650

I really like that rose. Goes on the list.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
R & L Porter

"Henry" wrote in message
. ..

I saw it a lot in England and decided then that I wanted one. While I
wouldn't call the flowers showy, they are quite pretty, if a bit
fleeting. The color of the leaves goes well with the greener greens in
a border. Some days it looks more red/purple than others. We've got
ours in the back of a border with blue, purple, and white flowering
perennials in front which I think looks nice.

Pictures from this morning here (along with the rugosas just starting to
bloom):

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

Thanks for the nice pics. How old is your rose? I am eager for
mine to grow.

Laura

Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Henry

R & L Porter wrote:
"Henry" wrote

I saw it a lot in England and decided then that I wanted one. While I
wouldn't call the flowers showy, they are quite pretty, if a bit
fleeting.

Thanks for the nice pics. How old is your rose? I am eager for
mine to grow.

It was planted in 1997 but it's probably not as big as it would be in
full sun. It gets between 4 and 5 hours a day.

--
Henry