Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Agnes (HRg)

On Thursday, December 7, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Peter Harris wrote:
I never tried using hormones to get seed-set on unwilling plants--just
tried to find those that were willing. Golden Showers is about as willing
a parent as can be found. Drawbacks: seeds have very thick seed coats
and sometimes take 2 years to germinate, and relatively few seeds are
produced per hip (only up to 15 or so, with the average about 8-10) with
compatible pollens. As I recall, I got 3 hips from 12-13 pollinations
with Agnes pollen on Golden Showers in 1978 or 1979, and perhaps only 7-10
seeds total from those three hips, and only the one germination (1983).
The plant showed definite rugosa characteristics in the leaves. The
blossoms were small, with mostly vegetative centers, a few thin petals of
about the color of Agnes, and a usually defective ovary. In addition, it
was rather mildew-susceptible. The year it was cut off prematurely (1984)
was the year it was carrying a hip, however, self-pollinated. It did
repeat-bloom. I would try the pollination again on several trusty mothers
if I had the essentials. Right now I have neither Agnes nor several
trusty mothers. My guess is that the mixed ancestry of Agnes permits it
to throw occasional diploid/tetraploid (reduced) pollen. Maybe it would
work on some of the caninas that have had some discussion lately.
Anyway, it's worth trying. All that can be lost is pollen, etc.--and who
knows what might be gained?

Do you know anything about the Spotless series (Pink, Gold, and Yellow)
developed at Beltsville by Peter Semeniuk? I think the series was based
on colchicine-doubled rugosa. I had all three but have lost them (and
don't know where to find them, as my daughter would add). The Pink
wasn't bad as a garden rose. The Yellow was quite pale, and its leaves
were not particularly attractive. The Gold was quite attractive, and
probably the most disease-resistant of the bunch. It had very glossy
leaves and small blossoms that shattered quickly. I had a First Prize x
Spotless Gold seedling with a long bud and good yellow petals (good
color, but a bit thin) I hoped to use as a parent, but it died from
neglect when I had to move in order to take a job out of state. Perhaps
this series would be a willing intermediary for introduction of more
rugosa virtues to the rose lines available.

Peter Harris

Out of curiosity, were did you find the Spotless series?