Golden Memories rose colour change

Old 08-07-2015, 04:30 PM

Location: Neston,
Default Golden Memories rose colour change

Hello,

I was given a Golden Memories rose a couple of years ago and it has grown well with a good crop of golden yellow roses , but this year some are pink in colour !
The buds start off as pink and continue to grow to full size still being pink, the others start off as a yellow bud and grow into full size golden yellow.
I am not a expert gardener , but my wife is a very keen gardener and she is as surprised as I am.
I have attached a couple of photos to give an idea of what they look like.

Any ideas anyone ? We like the look as it's so strange.

Regards from Neale.
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Memories rose colour change-golden-memories-rose-colour-change.jpg   Golden Memories rose colour change-golden-memories-rose-colour-change-02.jpg
Old 09-07-2015, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 4:25:01 PM UTC-4, yooser1 wrote:
Hello,

I was given a Golden Memories rose a couple of years ago and it has
grown well with a good crop of golden yellow roses , but this year some
are pink in colour !
The buds start off as pink and continue to grow to full size still being
pink, the others start off as a yellow bud and grow into full size
golden yellow.
I am not a expert gardener , but my wife is a very keen gardener and she
is as surprised as I am.
I have attached a couple of photos to give an idea of what they look
like.

Any ideas anyone ? We like the look as it's so strange.

Regards from Neale.

|Filename: Golden Memories Rose colour change.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16318|
|Filename: Golden Memories Rose colour change 02.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16319|

yooser1

Many, if not most, of the roses sold today are grafted onto a root stock that's completely different than the variety you're buying. Check to see if the branch with the pink rose is coming from below the graft.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM

Location: Neston,

Originally Posted by told. . .@. . .com View Post
[...]

Many thanks for your reply , I've had a look and it looks as if the pink rose is coming from the same graft as the yellow ones , but I'll check tomorrow when the grandchildren are not 'helping me'
Regards from Neale.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Location: Neston,

Originally Posted by yooser1 View Post
Many thanks for your reply , I've had a look and it looks as if the pink rose is coming from the same graft as the yellow ones , but I'll check tomorrow when the grandchildren are not 'helping me'
Regards from Neale.
A quick update , I've checked the rose branches that have pink and also yellow roses come from the same stem and branch , most strange , but we like the look as it makes a change !

Regards from Neale