Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Unique Too

Default Secret Garden Musk Climber

They arrived today, SGMC and Darlow's Enigma. Wow! The three gallon SGMC is
loaded with flowers and buds and it's huge. I haven't seen that nice a plant
since Giles closed. One of the smaller canes had broken off, but I'm still
left with four or five very nice ones. There must be 50 buds on it. If it's a
slow starter, I can't imagine what it will be like in a few years!
Right out of the box, I had to smell this one. The flowers didn't have much
scent, but the ones left with only stamens....they really do smell of cloves.
I handed one to my neighbor and she was surprised, then DH got to sniff. His
reaction, "I can't smell anything"...then, "Wow, that's strong, doesn't smell
like a rose though."
I gave it a good watering and put it in a a area that won't get the hot
afternoon sun. We'll see how it does in the next few days. I have a spot all
picked out but I'd like for it to get used to our climate first.
Darlow's Enigma is much smaller, in their quart size pot. I took it out to
check the roots and put it in a larger pot right away. Lots and lots of nice
roots. I think this one will stay in a pot for the summer and give it time to
grow a little more. It could porbably go in the ground, but I feel better when
they're potted for a while.

The Ashdown sco

Roses - Excellent
Packaging - Average
Price vs Quality - Very good

Overall, I'm very happy with the roses and Ashdown.

Julie
Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Cass

Unique Too wrote:

Darlow's Enigma is much smaller, in their quart size pot. I took it
out to check the roots and put it in a larger pot right away. Lots
and lots of nice roots. I think this one will stay in a pot for the
summer and give it time to grow a little more. It could porbably go
in the ground, but I feel better when they're potted for a while.

Me too, but I betcha it don't make it past July. Darlow's Enigma is
amazing. I potted mine up from a 3 inch pot into a 1 gal. 9/10/02. It
moved up to a 5 gal 10/23/02. It was still 4 inches tall. Early this
spring I repotted it into a 7 gallon pot when I saw roots out the drain
hole. Top growth was 5 inches tall. I now have three - 3 foot canes and
at least half a dozen basals shooting out of that pot. That beast goes
into a crater as soon as I figure out where.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Unique Too

Cass writes:

Me too, but I betcha it don't make it past July. Darlow's Enigma is
amazing. I potted mine up from a 3 inch pot into a 1 gal. 9/10/02. It
moved up to a 5 gal 10/23/02. It was still 4 inches tall. Early this
spring I repotted it into a 7 gallon pot when I saw roots out the drain
hole. Top growth was 5 inches tall. I now have three - 3 foot canes and
at least half a dozen basals shooting out of that pot. That beast goes
into a crater as soon as I figure out where.

That's good news! I even have a spot for this one all picked out. If I can't
get it in the ground soon, I'll find another rose to plant there. It wouldn't
be the first time I've bought more than one rose for the same spot. g
Old 10-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Cass

In article , Unique Too
wrote:

Cass writes:

Me too, but I betcha it don't make it past July. Darlow's Enigma is
amazing. I potted mine up from a 3 inch pot into a 1 gal. 9/10/02. It
moved up to a 5 gal 10/23/02. It was still 4 inches tall. Early this
spring I repotted it into a 7 gallon pot when I saw roots out the drain
hole. Top growth was 5 inches tall. I now have three - 3 foot canes and
at least half a dozen basals shooting out of that pot. That beast goes
into a crater as soon as I figure out where.

That's good news! I even have a spot for this one all picked out. If I can't
get it in the ground soon, I'll find another rose to plant there. It wouldn't
be the first time I've bought more than one rose for the same spot. g

Only two for the same spot? ! ? Your're so restrained. ;~)

No cantaloupes (musk mellon) Jeff Thies Gardening 7 14-08-2010 09:27 PM
sudden cold spell--what to do with musk melons? Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 0 29-08-2003 09:42 PM
Musk, David Hill United Kingdom 4 26-05-2003 05:08 PM
Musk, David Hill Gardening 2 26-05-2003 03:32 PM
Secret Garden Musk Climber/Darlow's Enigma saki Roses 8 14-05-2003 09:20 PM