Old 09-05-2003, 02:08 AM
saki

Default Secret Garden Musk Climber/Darlow's Enigma

(Unique Too) wrote in
:

The flowers didn't have much scent, but the ones left
with only stamens....they really do smell of cloves. I handed one to
my neighbor and she was surprised, then DH got to sniff. His
reaction, "I can't smell anything"...then, "Wow, that's strong,
doesn't smell like a rose though."

I've learned how many different rose scents there are, from paint-like to
citrus to damask-rose to cinnamon...and beyond. Sometimes they smell like
other flowers (sweet pea or mignonette). SGMC doesn't smell like cloves to
me but there's an element of a perfume I'm still trying to identify. I've
only had one blossom so far because mine came bare-root and is just
starting up.

Amazing that Ashdown sent a container plant with so many flower buds!

Darlow's Enigma is much smaller, in their quart size
pot. I took it out to check the roots and put it in a larger pot
right away. Lots and lots of nice roots. I think this one will stay
in a pot for the summer and give it time to grow a little more. It
could porbably go in the ground, but I feel better when they're potted
for a while.

You're right about this one. I got Darlow from The Uncommon Rose in October
of last year in a 4" pot and moved it up to 1-gallon right away. In
February it was ready for a five-gallon container. Just last weekend I
noticed that it had filled that one up and moved it to a ten-gallon
container. And it's throwing canes like nobody's business. Quite something!

----

Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Unique Too

saki writes:

I've learned how many different rose scents there are, from paint-like to
citrus to damask-rose to cinnamon...and beyond. Sometimes they smell like
other flowers (sweet pea or mignonette).

Not only are there many rose scent, but they smell different to each person.
Bride's Dream smells like something gone sour to me. DH loves it. Double
Delight is so strong, it stinks, again DH loves it. Souvenir de la Malmaison
and Sombreuil smell like roses should to me. Duchesse de Brabant, Monsieur
Tillier, and White Maman Cochet are scentless to my nose, others clain they
are very fragrant.

.. SGMC doesn't smell like cloves to
me but there's an element of a perfume I'm still trying to identify. I've
only had one blossom so far because mine came bare-root and is just
starting up.

Did you smell the stamens with out the petals? That's where I got the
fragrance and it was definitly clove. The open blooms did not smell at all.
That may be due to their being closed in a box for several days. Today I get
some scent, but not strong and nothing I can identify.

Amazing that Ashdown sent a container plant with so many flower buds!

I thought so too. But this is a BIG rose! Much larger than I expected, even
in a 3 gallon pot. You had only one bloom, or one cluster of blooms? All of
mine are in clusters, from 9-15 blooms/buds per group.

You're right about this one. I got Darlow from The Uncommon Rose in October
of last year in a 4" pot and moved it up to 1-gallon right away. In
February it was ready for a five-gallon container. Just last weekend I
noticed that it had filled that one up and moved it to a ten-gallon
container. And it's throwing canes like nobody's business. Quite something!

So I may get it in the ground sooner than I expected. That's good news. I
have an empty trellis I want to fill. I don't plan to grow it as a true
climber, but rather tie some of the first longer canes to the trellis and let
the rest of it grow it's own way. At least that's my plan, anyone know why it
won't work? I would like to do the same thing the SGMC, but I don't have a
trellis in place for it yet.

Julie

Old 09-05-2003, 11:32 PM
saki

(Unique Too) wrote in
:

Did you smell the stamens with out the petals? That's where I got the
fragrance and it was definitly clove.

Yes, but still not clove to me. As you say, scents differ, not just from
rose to rose but from admirer to admirer.

I thought so too. But this is a BIG rose! Much larger than I
expected, even in a 3 gallon pot. You had only one bloom, or one
cluster of blooms? All of mine are in clusters, from 9-15 blooms/buds
per group.

It has clusters. One opened early so I got a sneak-peek at it.

So I may get it in the ground sooner than I expected. That's good
news. I have an empty trellis I want to fill. I don't plan to grow
it as a true climber, but rather tie some of the first longer canes to
the trellis and let the rest of it grow it's own way. At least that's
my plan, anyone know why it won't work? I would like to do the same
thing the SGMC, but I don't have a trellis in place for it yet.

Darlow seems quite happy to be handled however you want. I've seen it grown
as a climber, a pillar and a hedge. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with
mine...and at the rate it's going I don't have a lot of time to figure it
out. I'm very tempted to blow up a well-established privet hedge and make
space for five or six more roses. Trouble is that the hedge belongs
technically to the apartment complex where I live and it's one of a pair
with my neighbor's apartment. So far I've been able to dig up lawn without
anyone seeming to notice but the landlord might miss a major hedge....

----

Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Cass

In article , saki
wrote:

(Unique Too) wrote in
:

[...]

So how big did it grow as a hedge? You mean a lot of them? Sheared?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
saki

Default Darlow's Enigma

Cass wrote in
:

In article , saki
wrote:

Darlow seems quite happy to be handled however you want. I've seen it
grown as a climber, a pillar and a hedge....

So how big did it grow as a hedge? You mean a lot of them? Sheared?

I don't know how many of them there were, but I first saw Darlow's Enigma
at Homestead Acre in Chatsworth, CA.

They were grown as a continuous hedge about four feet tall and possibly 10-
15 feet long, on the southwest side (if memory serves) of the Hill-Palmer
Cottage. Kim Rupert pointed it out to me. I think he mentioned that it was
sheared every season and just kept blooming.

I remember being very taken with the single white blossoms as well as their
proliferousness.

Old 13-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Cass

saki wrote:

Cass wrote

saki wrote:

Darlow seems quite happy to be handled however you want. I've seen it
grown as a climber, a pillar and a hedge....

So how big did it grow as a hedge? You mean a lot of them? Sheared?

I don't know how many of them there were, but I first saw Darlow's Enigma
at Homestead Acre in Chatsworth, CA.

They were grown as a continuous hedge about four feet tall and possibly 10-
15 feet long, on the southwest side (if memory serves) of the Hill-Palmer
Cottage. Kim Rupert pointed it out to me. I think he mentioned that it was
sheared every season and just kept blooming.

I detected the first buds this morning. Can't wait to give it the scent
test. It's hard to know whether it will have canes stout enough to
handle the wind here. Roses will broomstick sized canes work the best
unless most of the canes are finger sized and a bit flexible. Finger
sized and stiff is a sure loser.
Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Henry Kuska

Darlow's Enigma has produced many nice open pollinated seedlings for
me. Most of them are similar to the mother. I am so confident that
the seedlings will produce nice plants that I often donate a batch of
tiny first spring seedlings to be sold at our rose club's spring plant
auction. The feedback has been very favorable especially since the
owner knows that he/she has the only copy of that rose in the world.

The following link has a picture of one that I kept (I have kept more
than one):
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/darlowsenigma.htm
Old 14-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Cass

Henry Kuska wrote:

Darlow's Enigma has produced many nice open pollinated seedlings for
me. Most of them are similar to the mother. I am so confident that
the seedlings will produce nice plants that I often donate a batch of
tiny first spring seedlings to be sold at our rose club's spring plant
auction. The feedback has been very favorable especially since the
owner knows that he/she has the only copy of that rose in the world.

The following link has a picture of one that I kept (I have kept more
than one):
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/darlowsenigma.htm

Prof. Kuska, do they often share that same dark green, narrow foliage?
Old 14-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Henry Kuska

I guess narrow is relative. The younger leaves are narrow, but the older
leaves I would put in the normal catagory. I guess I would have to say the
same for "dark green". The mature leaves are not light like Climbing Summer
Snow; but I would not classify the mature leaves as dark either. Remember
most of my 1000 or so roses are shrub or species roses. Someone with hybrid
teas maybe would see things differently.
Henry Kuska, retired

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/
"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
Henry Kuska wrote:

Darlow's Enigma has produced many nice open pollinated seedlings for
me. Most of them are similar to the mother. I am so confident that
the seedlings will produce nice plants that I often donate a batch of
tiny first spring seedlings to be sold at our rose club's spring plant
auction. The feedback has been very favorable especially since the
owner knows that he/she has the only copy of that rose in the world.

The following link has a picture of one that I kept (I have kept more
than one):
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/darlowsenigma.htm

Prof. Kuska, do they often share that same dark green, narrow foliage?

No cantaloupes (musk mellon) Jeff Thies Gardening 7 14-08-2010 10:27 PM
sudden cold spell--what to do with musk melons? Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 0 29-08-2003 10:42 PM
Musk, David Hill United Kingdom 4 26-05-2003 06:08 PM
Musk, David Hill Gardening 2 26-05-2003 04:32 PM
Secret Garden Musk Climber Unique Too Roses 3 10-05-2003 04:44 AM