Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
dave weil

Default buds are starting to swell

On 12 May 2003 17:13:07 GMT, (Unique Too) wrote:

dave weil writes:

One thing worth noting is that Muncy's roses are all fortuniana
rootstock.

He sells both ownroot and grafted.
From his website:
"We carry a line of Hybrid Teas, Floribunda and OGR's. We are most excited
about our new line of David Austin roses. We will be offering them as well as
all our roses either own root or grafted on Fortuniana. All our roses a
guaranteed virus free and healthy.".
http://www.muncyrose.com/frame.html
Julie

Sorry, I only saw this:

We graft onto Fortuaniana root stock. This root stock is mainly for
warm parts of the country but will grow VERY well in the north with
good winter protection.

Didn't know they did own root as well...

Thanks for the correction...
Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Henry

Shiva wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:37:55 -0400, Henry
wrote:

My Pat Austin is a Muncy's ownroot, and I do recommend
Ken and Suzie Muncy for ownroot roses. They will not ship to
California, but they will ship to you. There is a website:

http://www.muncyrose.com/

I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

Have you seen Distant Drums? Speaking of unusual? I have four. It is
the first rose I have four of. I am truly smitten with this rose.
Fragrant, too.

Damn. Pardon me but there's nothing else to say. My list grows faster
than I can keep up with and I'm running out of space here. I'm now
starting to plan details for the 40' by 50' space that's being prepared
in Pennsylvania. It will have to be roses that can take care of
themselves a bit, which makes it harder to plan. Naturally I'll want
repeat bloom (with possible exceptions) and definately fragrance (to me,
a rose without fragrance is half a rose at best). One nice thing is
that my father is up there spraying his fruit trees off and on all
spring and summer so spraying for blackspot won't be much of an issue.

Lots of space but so many to chose from. I really like bourbon and
portland roses and would like to use a few. Anyone care to comment on
the hardiness of Rose de Rescht, Rose du Roi, Louise Odier, Reine
Victoria, Mme. Pierre Oger, Souvenir de la Malmaison, or Mme. Isaac
Pereire? I'd like to combine some of them with some Noisettes and
various Austins. Are there any China roses that I could grow that far
north (zone 6)? Of course, all this is still very much in the dreaming
stage so the whole idea could change drastically in the next four
months. I'm getting the space ready to plant next spring (although some
things may go in this fall).

I currently have four roses on the inside (Linda Campbell,
Johann Strauss, Auguste Renoir, and Barbara Bush)

Of these I have only seen Barbara Bush, which is such a good,
floriferous rose in a friend's garden that I am tempted to buy it,
even though it has no scent to my nose. How do you like it?

I like it a lot but so does black spot. It's hard to keep healthy. The
blooms are large, beautiful and fragrant (if less so than some). They
don't age particularly well for me, getting spotty. Of course, if I
sprayed more it would help. Serious thorns on this rose, also.

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Theo Asir

portland roses and would like to use a few. Anyone care to comment on
the hardiness of Rose de Rescht,

Spots. but very vigorous. Self recovery.

Rose du Roi,

Louise Odier,

This is one tough rose.
I planted it as a twiglet last may.
It is now a 5'x7' monster that
even the rabbits fear to approach.
It is absolutely smothered w/ hundreds of
blooms right now. must take picture.
Spots but self recovers.

Reine
Victoria, Mme. Pierre Oger, Souvenir de la Malmaison, or Mme. Isaac
Pereire? I'd like to combine some of them with some Noisettes and
various Austins.

Very few Noisettes can deal w/ Z6 cold.
I grow a Alfred Carriere in a very protected
location but even then it has serious die back.

Are there any China roses that I could grow that far
north (zone 6)?

Hermosa is a tough Chinese rose you could try.
Also Dave grows Old Blush in Z6. I'm trying
it myself.

Of course, all this is still very much in the dreaming
stage so the whole idea could change drastically in the next four
months. I'm getting the space ready to plant next spring (although some
things may go in this fall).

I've found that summer is a good time to dig and amend the soil
to get it ready for fall. I've also done some summer planting
w/ a white cloth solar topi.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 PM
R & L Porter

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Very few Noisettes can deal w/ Z6 cold.
I grow a Alfred Carriere in a very protected
location but even then it has serious die back.

Sorry to hijack another thread, but Theo, tell
me about your Mme. Alfred experience. How
much protection, dieback, etc..?

Laura -- I apologize if we have talked about this
before. I am getting deja vu.

Old 13-05-2003, 12:32 AM
J. Del Col

(Shiva) wrote in message news:294a9e02ddf133d933bf36d4b9a39a0e@TeraNews.. .
On 12 May 2003 07:23:36 -0700,
(J. Del Col)
wrote:

(Shiva) wrote in message news:ab668d46207d2c24d753eed8680597c2@TeraNews.. .
On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:39:20 GMT, "Jane"
wrote:

Hi all, I finally have some swelling buds here in Maryland 6b

Jane, I really have lost all perspective on the differences between NC
and MD climates and growing seasons. My first flushes are finished,
some roses are beginning their second, and my bare roots are budding
and showing some color.

BTW--the mosquitos have been out for at least two weeks. It's all a
trade off!

R.primula opened the season here in Philippi, WV about April 1. A
few days later R. xanthina started blooming. Both are finished now,
but R. moyesii, Harison's Yellow and R. parviflora have begun blooming.
Unfortunately, high winds yesterday and today have stripped petals off many blossoms.

Hmm, so you are about on par with us. I would have thought you were
cooler there, and so a bit behind. I assume you are in the mountains,
or perhaps in a nice valley between mountains? I was in the New River
Valley last spring, and have never seen anything so beautiful this far
east. It was in VA but very close to TN and WV.

We are on a hill overlooking the Tygart Valley River. That probably helps a
bit as far as the microclimate goes.

BTW. That R. parviflora I mentioned is actually R. centifolia parvifolia.
I keep thinking it is parviflora because of its small garnet flowers.

J. Del Col

Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Henry

Shiva wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:37:55 -0400, Henry wrote:

I currently have four roses
on the inside (Linda Campbell, Johann Strauss, Auguste Renoir, and
Barbara Bush)

Of these I have only seen Barbara Bush, which is such a good,
floriferous rose in a friend's garden that I am tempted to buy it,
even though it has no scent to my nose. How do you like it?

I should say that of those four, I like Linda Campbell (Moore, 1990) the
least. It's a pretty color (bright red) but has no scent and for a
rugosa is fairly susceptible to blackspot. It doesn't seem to be bad
enough to do any real harm but rugosas are usually so immune that it
seems bad by comparison. It also wants to be bigger than the space it
is in. Given a spot in the middle of a lawn and allowed to grow it
would be an impressive sight in full bloom. The individual flowers are
really not much to look at but it certainly makes a nice mass of red and
it blooms all summer long. This was the first rose I planted and if I
had it to do over, I'd probably get something else.

The other two were put in last summer (from Dr. Snell's nursery near Mt.
Airy, MD).

Johann Strauss (Meilland, 1994) is an interesting color, blush or light
salmon with yellower tones towards the center. Good fragrance. I'll
take a picture when it blooms. Our drought last summer hit this rose a
bit and it's starting the year smaller than it might have but it's
healthy enough and growing strongly.

Auguste Renoir (Meilland, 1993) is rosy pink and really profuse. It is
larger that JS and has a good number of buds. The fragrance from this
is stronger than JS, also. Both of these seem to be fairly resistant to
disease. I'm very happy with them and recommend them if you want those
colors.

AR replaced a Mr. Lincoln that never did all that well except to say
that it was seven feet tall. It was one or two canes with huge flowers
way up top. They are beautiful flowers but kind of hard to enjoy from
below. I moved it to the other end of the yard (the other area with
enough sun for roses) but it doesn't seem to have made it. I'm not
terribly upset about that, I guess.

--
Henry

Old 13-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Theo Asir

"R & L Porter" wrote in message

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Very few Noisettes can deal w/ Z6 cold.
I grow a Alfred Carriere in a very protected
location but even then it has serious die back.

Sorry to hijack another thread, but Theo, tell
me about your Mme. Alfred experience. How
much protection, dieback, etc..?

I planted Mme. Alfred C. & Sombreuil last
year in july after all our exchanges.

Som. died in me. Twice.
Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

But AC lived and grew to a respectable 4'.
Its inside my back yard fencing. This particular
area saw -13F tempretures this year. Its against
a wooden fence that cuts down the cold winds a bit.
I did not give it any protection on the reasoning
that nothing else in my garden was getting
any protection and I wanted merit to prevail.

This March when everything else started growing again
I noticed only 2 of AC's canes showed signs of life.
The other three canes gradually blackened and fell away.
The two canes that survived were strapped to the wood fence.
They had about 6" of tip damage.

Guess I need to strap all canes to the fence.
It has just about finished its first flush
and there are about 4 georgeous basals
bursting from it.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Laura -- I apologize if we have talked about this
before. I am getting deja vu.

That OK. This is my spring retual anyway.
Counting the losses. Learning what works
and tinkering tinkering tinkering...

Old 14-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Jane

Thanks Henry I'm down that way every Friday...goody goody...I thank you!

"Henry" wrote in message
. uu.net...
Jane wrote:
Oooh! Makes me wish I was a mother!
Where's Johnson's?

Oops. I went back and checked and it's Kate Kaercher that's near
Johnson's, not you. It's at the intersection of Rt. 28 and Quince
Orchard Road in Gaithersburg. They do have a nice selection.

--
Henry

Old 14-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Jane

Thanks Henry, You have a nice site.Very pretty garden shots. Nice work. I
imagine those little girls are yours too. How sweet. I love the "What's in
Bloom" format. I might try to make one this summer. I'm so not plugged in
it's pathetic..but I can learn.
Jane

"Henry" wrote in message
. ..
Jane wrote:
Do you have pictures?

The latest are here (05/11/2003):
http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

--
Henry

Old 15-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Shiva

Then Henry said:

Damn. Pardon me but there's nothing else to say. My list grows faster
than I can keep up with and I'm running out of space here. I'm now
starting to plan details for the 40' by 50' space that's being prepared
in Pennsylvania. It will have to be roses that can take care of
themselves a bit, which makes it harder to plan.

Oh, boy, do you need Distant Drums! It is a Griffith Buck rose, and so
bred to take cold, in case you have some harsh winters! Peachy-tan in
the center, lavender/mauve on the outside, excellent substance, full
and shrubby, so far very floriferous. Very fragrant! Delicious!

Naturally I'll want
repeat bloom (with possible exceptions) and definately fragrance (to me,
a rose without fragrance is half a rose at best). One nice thing is
that my father is up there spraying his fruit trees off and on all
spring and summer so spraying for blackspot won't be much of an issue.

Now this is nice.

l,

Old 15-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

Hate to rain on your parade Shiva.
but there is one caveat attached to Distant D.

It is not a particularly vigorous rose on
its own roots. To get any sort of production
it has to be grafted and grafts I'd rate as
marginally hardy in Z5.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Then Henry said:

[...]

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 04:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 05:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 03:33 AM
Starting off a planted tank -- starting one (or maybe) two strikes down.... [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-11-2005 02:31 AM
swell gift idea Birchy Ponds 0 22-12-2004 12:24 AM